About This Chapter
Ethics in Advertising - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Advertising is a common and effective method for generating business, but is it an ethical practice? This chapter addresses advertising from an ethics perspective and identifies both ethical and unethical marketing practices. Professional instructors have designed these courses to help you understand the role that ethics plays in advertising and how advertising is regulated. When you've watched all the lessons in this chapter you'll have knowledge of:
- Advertising trends
- Marketing ethics
- Target marketing
- Ethical and unethical influences
|Advertising: Ethical Rationale & Trends||Presents arguments for and against advertising from an ethics perspective. Examines current advertising trends.|
|Ethical Behavior in Marketing: What Are Marketing Ethics?||Defines business ethics and examines the three levels of ethical development. Analyzes the factors associated with ethical decision making in business.|
|How to Determine Ethical from Unethical Influence in Advertising||Differentiates between ethical and unethical influences in advertising. Details different ways to evaluate these advertising methods.|
|Ethical & Unethical Target Marketing in Business||Distinguishes between ethical target marketing and unethical target marketing. Uses the example of marketing to vulnerable populations to illustrate the differences.|
|Advertising Abuses & Regulation||Describes the different ways in which advertising can be abused. Identifies controversial advertising as an abuse method. Discusses methods for regulating advertising.|
1. Ethical Behavior in Marketing: What Are Marketing Ethics?
Watch our lesson to learn the definition of ethics and how it relates to business and marketing. You will also learn about the idea of ethical business behavior.
2. Ethical & Unethical Target Marketing in Business
Companies are desperate to acquire customers, and some will use inappropriate ways to gain their attention. In this lesson, you'll learn how to discern ethical from unethical target marketing, using the example of marketing to vulnerable populations.
3. Advertising Abuses & Regulation
Companies do not always act ethically when trying to persuade consumers to purchase their products. In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which advertising can be abused and take a look at controversial advertising and regulation of advertising.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 108: Business Ethics course
- Introduction to Business Ethics
- Employees, Stockholders, & Corporate Governance
- Management in Organizations
- The Relationship Between Business, Government & Society
- Public Relations for Business
- Diversity in the Workforce
- Business-Government Relations
- Government Regulation on Business
- Business' Influence on the Political Environment
- The Executive Branch of Government: Composition & Roles
- Antitrust Laws in Business
- Corporate Social Responsibility & Citizenship
- Business & the Community
- The Media's Impact on Business
- Consumer Rights & Regulations
- Strategies of Special Interest Groups
- Technology, Business, & Society
- Environmental Issues in Business
- The Global Business Environment
- International Trade & Business Law
- Studying for Business 108