About This Chapter
Ethics and Professionalism in Early Education - Chapter Summary
From ethical conduct to student confidentiality, this chapter is designed to cover everything you need to know about teacher ethics and professionalism. Lessons address code of ethics as well as legislation that impacts education and teacher responsibilities and duties. You'll learn about student records, informed consent, zero tolerance and more. After you complete your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Recite standards as set by the National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Understand tips for conducting parent-teacher conferences
- See how to maintain student record accuracy and confidentiality
- Explain what informed consent in research means
- List the pros and cons of prayer in school
- Summarize zero tolerance and No Child Left Behind policies and laws
This chapter combines video and text lessons to bring you expert instruction and detailed examples. You will find that lessons can be accessed at all times, from any device, so study is convenient for your schedule. Brief quizzes can be used to determine whether you are ready to move from one lesson to the next and you can easily chart your progress through the chapter on your Dashboard.
1. NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct
The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) sets forth standards of ethics for its members to follow. In this lesson, we'll examine their code of ethical conduct, including the core values, major areas of ethics, and the statement of commitment.
2. Parent-Teacher Conferences: Tips for Teachers
This lesson looks at the best tips for teachers for parent-teacher conferences, in order to help create positive results for both student and teacher. It gives practical examples of real-life situations. The lesson is followed by a practical quiz.
3. Maintaining Accurate & Systematic Student Records
In this lesson, teachers will learn about the importance of maintaining accurate and systematic student records. Strategies for keeping records about students' academic performance, attendance, and behavior will be included.
4. Maintaining the Confidentiality of Student Records
How do you preserve student records in a way that protects their confidentiality? This article discusses the laws regulating private student information and best practices for compliance.
5. What Is Informed Consent in Research? - Definition & Purpose
After you have figured out what you are going to research and have approval to do it, you need informed consent from the participants in your experiment. What is informed consent, and how is it different than regular consent?
6. Prayer in Public Schools: History, Law, Pros & Cons
Prayer in public schools is still a topic that's deliberated today. This lesson takes you through the history, law, pros, and cons of prayer in schools and offers a quiz to test your knowledge on this topic.
7. Zero Tolerance Policy in Schools
Zero tolerance policies are common in schools. This lesson will discuss the ins and outs of zero tolerance policies and will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
8. No Child Left Behind: Summary, Pros & Cons
The No Child Left Behind Act has been both influential and controversial since it was first passed over a decade ago. But what exactly is it? In this lesson, we'll explore the No Child Left Behind Act, including its pros and cons.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Young Children
- Basics of Early Childhood Education
- Influences on Early Childhood Development
- Language Development in Children
- Atypical Development & Delays
- Federal Legislation Related to Children With Exceptionalities
- Accommodating Children With Diverse Needs
- Adaptive & Assistive Equipment for Learning
- Multicultural & Antibias Curriculum
- Early Childhood Classroom Safety
- Learning Environments in Early Education
- Managing the Learning Environment
- Instructional Planning for Early Education
- Instructional Processes for Early Education
- Grouping Techniques for Classrooms
- Integrated Curriculum & Interdisciplinary Connections for ECE
- Art Education for Early Childhood
- Physical Health & Wellness Education
- Fundamentals of Literacy in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Math in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Social Studies in Early Education
- Fundamentals of Science in Early Education
- Assessment Data in Early Education
- Early Childhood Educational Technology
- Assessments in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Development for Early Childhood Teachers
- Family Collaboration & Advocacy in Early Childhood Education
- Praxis Pre-Kindergarten Education Flashcards