About This Chapter
European Discoveries & Wars - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, our instructors discuss several conflicts involving European powers, including the sea battles between the Christians and Turks and the English Civil War and the events leading up to it. You'll find out about colonialism, and see the economic impact of exploration and colonialism.
Other lessons examine Galileo's work with the telescope and how it brought him into conflict with the church. After watching all these lessons, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the Holy Leagues and their actions
- Explain the spread of European colonialism
- Describe Galileo's impasse with the church over his discoveries
- Examine conflict at the Jamestown colony
- Explore the English Civil War and its causes
- Tell about the Commercial Revolution
These lessons are informative and entertaining, and you can watch them as your schedule permits on a computer or mobile device. Short quizzes follow up on what you've learned, offering an opportunity to discover area where you're weak.
1. Holy Leagues: Christians vs. Turks by Sea
This lesson focuses on the formation of Holy Leagues and the battle between Christian and Turkish forces in the Mediterranean Sea during the Sixteenth Century.
2. Colonialism Across Europe
In the late 1400s, European explorers learned how to cross the Atlantic Ocean. This lesson explores the impact of the colonization of the Americas by Europeans and the reasons they emigrated.
3. Galileo, the Telescope & the Church
This lesson explores the contributions of Galileo to modern science. It examines his early steps toward a scientific method, his work on falling bodies and, of course, his astronomical discoveries. Finally, the Church's reaction to these discoveries is explored.
4. Jamestown: Conflict in the New World
This lesson focuses on the settlement of Jamestown and the conflicts that occurred between the native populations and the English settlers. While exploring this topic, it will highlight England's response to the troubles that plagued the settlement.
5. The Gunpowder Treason: England After Elizabeth I
This lesson will explain the Gunpowder Treason of England. As it uncovers the details of this assassination plot, it will explain the part Elizabeth I and the other Tudor monarchs played in creating the resentment that brought it to life.
6. The English Civil War and Failure of Charles' Monarchy
This lesson will explain the reign and execution of England's King Charles I. It will highlight the actions of Charles, along with his confrontations with Parliament, that led to the English Civil War.
7. The English Civil War and the Rise of Cromwell's Theocracy
This lesson will describe the events that led to the rise of Oliver Cromwell's theocracy. It will highlight the English Civil War, the execution of King Charles and the oppressive rule of Cromwell.
8. The Commercial Revolution: Economic Impact of Exploration and Colonization on Europe
In this lesson, we'll discuss the Commercial Revolution sparked by Europe's interaction with the New World colonies. We'll learn about how mercantilism, banking and joint-stock companies transformed the economic face of the European continent.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Help and Review course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy: Help & Review
- AP European History - Reformation Roots & Teachings: Help and Review
- AP History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help & Review
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Help and Review
- How Monarchical Nation States Developed: Help and Review
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Help and Review
- AP History - Scientific Revolution & Enlightenment: Help & Review
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Help and Review
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Help and Review
- AP European History - Western Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - Central Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - First Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- AP European History - Second Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- Nation States Unification in the 19th Century: Help & Review
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - After the Soviet Union: Help & Review
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Writing a Good Essay on the AP European History Exam
- AP European History Exam Essay: Help & Review
- The Reformation of the Catholic Church
- Events & Major Figures of the Renaissance