About This Chapter
European Exploration of the Americas - Chapter Summary
This teacher resource on the European exploration of the Americas contains video lessons, multiple-choice quizzes and other materials to assist you in teaching these history topics to your students. You'll find Native American history, the reasons that Europeans sailed to the Americas and the effects of European colonization all covered here. All of the learning materials are written by teachers specifically for the needs and requirements of teachers. To make it easy to prepare for class, these resources are mobile friendly and accessible 24 hours a day.
How It Helps
- Engages students: Our videos provide you with an easy-to-access way to bring the European exploration of the Americas to life for your students.
- Covers multiple topics: In one concise chapter, you'll find subjects ranging from the origins of the early peoples in the Americas to the French and Spanish explorations of the New World.
- Offers access to instructors: You're welcome to submit any questions about the exploration of the Americas that you'd like to discuss further with one of our professional instructors through the Dashboard.
This chapter will help your students achieve the following objectives:
- Describe the origins and history of the Native Americans
- Outline the North American civilizations before the arrival of Europeans
- Explain why Europeans sailed to explore the Americas
- Detail Christopher Columbus, the Native Americans and the effects of European colonization
- Identify the prominent Spanish explorers and Spanish colonies
- Provide an overview of the French exploration of the New World
1. Native American History: Origins of Early People in the Americas
Because the first humans and civilizations got their start in Africa and the Middle East, historians and anthropologists have had to figure out how Native Americans got to the Americas. In this lesson we look at the three prevailing theories of the earliest migration to the New World.
2. Pre-Columbian Civilization: North American Indians Before Europeans
Watch this video for an overview of the cultural groups of Native Americans as they lived at the time of first contact with Europeans. Some of these groupings, like the tribes of the plains, changed so much due to the addition of European influences, such as horses, that there is only conjecture as to how exactly they lived before European contact.
3. European Exploration & Colonization in Latin America
Starting in 1492, the arrival of Europeans in present-day Latin America irrevocably changed the region's history. This lesson examines the impact of European colonization, technology, and disease on the region.
4. New Spain: Spanish Explorers and Spanish Colonies
Who are the most well-known explorers and conquistadors of the New World? In this lesson, we'll look at some of the most infamous explorers. We'll discover the difference between explorers and conquistadors, and then learn about the encomienda system.
5. French Exploration of the New World: History & Overview
Learn about the French exploration of the New World in this lesson. Discover how French sailors mapped territories, and explore the impact of the French on the Native Americans.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents