About This Chapter
European History: Geography, Colonization, WWI & Russia - Chapter Summary
This chapter starts off with an exploration of Europe's geography, including its boundaries, population distribution, cultural aspects and physical features. Professional instructors will guide you through lessons on the Commercial Revolution and the different ways that the economy was affected by European colonization. You'll study the tensions in Europe that led to World War I and discuss events of the war and its impact on European society. This chapter offers a timeline of the Russian Revolution and describes the governmental changes and power shifts in Russia that led to the rise of communism. Once you've finished the lessons in this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Describe Europe's climate and natural resources
- Explain Christopher Columbus' relationship with Native Americans
- Detail the ways that Europe was a powder keg during World War I
- Describe the Triple Entente and Triple Alliance going into the war
- Depict the causes and effects of the Russian Revolution
- Detail the post-revolution chaos that impacted Russia's provisional government
- Assess the triumph of the Bolsheviks
- Describe Stalin's five-year plan and policies for the Soviet Union
You'll quickly become well-versed in European history and geography when you watch the short and engaging video lessons presented in this chapter. Our lessons are taught by subject experts who use graphics, animations and narration to make learning about European geography and colonization, Russia and World War I easy and fun. Self-assessment quizzes follow each lesson, so you can check your knowledge of the material before moving on to another lesson.
1. Overview of European Geography
Learn about the geography of Europe, including the physical features, natural resources, politics, population, culture, environment, and climate. See what you've learned by testing yourself with a short quiz.
2. The Commercial Revolution: Economic Impact of Exploration and Colonization on Europe
Near the end of the Middle Ages, European commerce increased and helped spur the Industrial Revolution. Discover how mercantilism and the New World influenced the Commercial Revolution, and understand how the Commercial Revolution influenced banks, joint-stock companies, and inflation.
3. Effects of European Colonization: Christopher Columbus and Native Americans
European colonization and the voyage of Christopher Columbus permanently effected the development of the Americas. Learn why Europeans sailed to the Americas, what effect European diseases had on Native Americans, and how horses and metal tools impacted native societies.
4. Tensions in Europe: Political, Social & Entangling Alliances
International tension between countries in Europe leading up to World War I took the forms of complex political, social, and alliance relationships. Learn about the European powers, entangled alliances, and how strong identities in the form of 'isms' led to tension.
5. The Russian Revolution: Timeline, Causes & Effects
The Russian Revolution was a series of rebellions that ended the imperial government in Russia. Learn about the Revolution of 1905, the February Revolution, and the October Revolution, and then explore the aftermath and implications of each.
6. Provisional Government in Russia: Overview, Politics & Post-Revolution Chaos
The provisional government in Russia was created due to the dissatisfaction of the people with the Czar and his rulership. Study the first Russian Revolution, an overview of Russian politics, Bloody Sunday, and post-revolution chaos.
7. The Bolsheviks Triumph: Battles, Events & the Shift of Power
The Bolsheviks triumph was the military victory of the Bolshevik Red Army over the White Army during the Russian Civil War, which secured communist rule in Russia. Learn about the battles, key events, and shift of power during the Russian Civil War.
8. The Rise of Communism & Vladimir Lenin
Vladimir Lenin was a communist revolutionary who helped orchestrate the Russian Revolution and emerged as the first Premier of the Soviet Union. Learn more about the rise of communism in Russia and how Lenin's political thinking was influenced by the German philosopher Karl Marx.
9. The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies
As one of the most vicious eras in the Soviet Union, the rule of Joseph Stalin negatively impacted his people and radically changed the country's economy. Discover more about Stalin's rule, including his rise, five-year plans, purges and policies, and his death.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Social Science (015) Prep course
- About the GACE Test
- European Colonies in North America (1497-1732)
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Jacksonian Democracy
- American Civil War & Reconstruction Overview
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- U.S. Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- Post-World War ll America (1946-1959)
- The Cold War in America (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- The History of Georgia
- Introduction to Government
- Introduction to Economics
- American Government
- Latin American History
- Canadian History
- European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- European History: The Rise of Fascism
- European History: World War II
- European History: Post-War Europe
- European History: Cold War Europe
- European History: Integration in Europe after the Soviet Union
- Australian History
- Overview of African History
- Asian History
- GACE Middle Grades Social Science Flashcards
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.