About This Chapter
European History: Integration in Europe after the Soviet Union - Chapter Summary
Subject experts introduce you to events and leaders in Europe after the Cold War. You'll get a firsthand look at the treaties that emerged and the events that led to the expansion of the European Union. Lessons will discuss the influence that Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had on Great Britain as well as the significance of policies spearheaded by Gorbachev. This chapter covers the end of communism in the Eastern part of Europe, the tearing down of the Berlin Wall and ethnic warfare that broke out in the former Yugoslavia. Once you've wrapped up your study of this chapter, you'll have knowledge of:
- The Communist BLOC collapse
- Significance of the Warsaw Pact
- East and West Germany's reunification
- History of the Berlin Wall
- Glasnost and Perestroika policies and their importance
- Yeltsin's New Russian Republic
- Timeline of events in the former Yugoslavia's ethnic war
Our short and engaging video lessons make learning about this period of European history fun and easy. You can quickly review key topics without having to re-watch the entire video by using the video tags that come with our lessons. The professional and experienced instructors who teach these lessons use engaging narration and graphics to help you retain critical info about Europe's history after the Cold War. We offer lesson transcripts that make finding the definitions for key terms simple and fast. You'll also find self-assessment quizzes attached to each lesson so you can check your knowledge of the material.
1. Post-Cold War European Cooperation: Institutions & Treaties
After the end of the Cold War, Europe began rebuilding the relationships between its won countries and the rest of the world. Learn more about the important institutions and treaties that were established during this time, such as the Organization for European Economic Cooperation (OEEC), the European Union (EU), and many more.
2. European Union Expansion: Events & Timelines
Today the European Union is a successful union of European countries, but this was not always the case. In this lesson, explore how the European Union was formed, looking at the vital events and timeline that made the European Union the powerhouse force it is today.
3. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher: Influence and Impact on Great Britain
The United Kingdom's first female prime minister, Margaret Thatcher, is renowned as a polarizing figure in British history. Learn details of her early life, career, and influence, and the impact of her political service.
4. The Collapse of the Communist BLOC and the Warsaw Pact
The Eastern 'Bloc' of communist nations constructed after World War II collapsed despite the Warsaw Pact into independent countries in the midst of the Cold War. Learn about the Cold War and Warsaw pact and the events contributing to the end of the Soviet Union.
5. The Reunification of East and West Germany in 1990
In 1990, the reunification of Germany brought to light the vast cultural and economical differences among the civilians in East and West Germany. Learn about the partition of Germany after WWII, the fall of communism, and the reunification of Germany.
6. Building and Tearing Down the Berlin Wall: History and Timeline
For nearly 30 years, the Berlin Wall cut off both friends and families from one another. Learn about the history of the Berlin Wall, timeline, how it began, and how its final demise came as communism fell across Eastern Europe in the late 1980s.
7. The End of Communism in Eastern Europe: Events and Timeline
The communist Soviet Union fell in late 1991, leaving many Eastern European countries without direction. Explore the fall of the Soviet Union, the economic issues it caused, and how Eastern Europe recovered.
8. Yeltsin and the New Russian Republic: History and Timeline
The change in Russia's society after the demise of the Soviet Union was a sharp one. In this lesson, dive into the history and timeline of Yeltsin and the New Russian Republic, including the fall of the Soviet Union, Yeltsin's early career, and Yeltsin as president.
9. Ethnic Warfare in Former Yugoslavia: Events and Timeline
When Yugoslavia broke up into several independent states in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the unraveling of the nation was violent and gruesome. Understand the events and timeline of the war in former Yugoslavia, examine Slovania's 10-day war, Croatian independence, and Bosnia, and explore Kosovo's succession.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Social Science (015) Prep course
- About the GACE Test
- European Colonies in North America (1497-1732)
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Jacksonian Democracy
- American Civil War & Reconstruction Overview
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- U.S. Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- Post-World War ll America (1946-1959)
- The Cold War in America (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- The History of Georgia
- Introduction to Government
- Introduction to Economics
- American Government
- Latin American History
- Canadian History
- European History: Geography, Colonization, WWI & Russia
- European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- European History: The Rise of Fascism
- European History: World War II
- European History: Post-War Europe
- European History: Cold War Europe
- Australian History
- Overview of African History
- Asian History
- GACE Middle Grades Social Science Flashcards
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.