About This Chapter
European History: The 1920s & 1930s - Chapter Summary
For this chapter, our professional instructors guide you through the interwar period, the years between the World Wars, of European history. The video lessons examine a number of events that impacted Europe and the rest of the world during the 1920s and 1930s. You'll learn about the economic repercussions of the Great Depression as well as the political consequences of fascism in Europe. The lessons also teach you about the social and cultural impacts of the Roaring Twenties and Jazz Age. By the time you finish studying all of the chapter's video lessons, you should be able to:
- Recognize the effects of interwar European fascism
- Explain the Roaring Twenties' economic and social changes
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of Germany's Weimar Republic
- Understand the causes and impact of the Great Depression
- Describe the influences that shaped Jazz Age music and literature
The video lessons we provide to help you study interwar European history are entertaining and often less than 10 minutes long. The videos are filled with essential information about major people, places and events that shaped the time period. You can go back and review these key facts by using the video tags, which keep you from having to rewatch entire videos. The lessons contain transcripts to aid your studies and sometimes have links to text lessons that give additional background information about important terms. You can gauge how well you understand this chapter's material by completing each lesson's quiz.
1. The Interwar Years: Timeline, Society & Economies
In this lesson, we explore the varied experiences of the two decades in between the 20th century's two major world wars, from the prosperity of the 1920s to the depths of the Great Depression to the rise of fascism.
2. The Weimar Republic: Strengths, Weaknesses & Collapse
In this lesson, we explore the Weimar Republic, the democratic government which governed Germany in between World War I and the rise of the Nazi party and Adolf Hitler.
3. The Great Depression: Timeline, Causes & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the Great Depression and the economic trends and practices that caused the greatest economic meltdown in the history of the world.
4. The Jazz Age: Developments in Music and Literature
In this lesson, we explore the music and literature of one of the more vibrant periods of 20th-century society and Western culture: the Jazz Age of the 1920s.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Social Science (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- European Colonies in North America (1497-1732)
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Jacksonian Democracy
- American Civil War & Reconstruction Overview
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- U.S. Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- Post-World War ll America (1946-1959)
- The Cold War in America (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- The History of Georgia
- Introduction to Government
- Introduction to Economics
- American Government
- Latin American History
- Canadian History
- European History: Geography, Colonization, WWI & Russia
- European History: The Rise of Fascism
- European History: World War II
- European History: Post-War Europe
- European History: Cold War Europe
- European History: Integration in Europe after the Soviet Union
- Australian History
- Overview of African History
- Asian History
- GACE Middle Grades Social Science Flashcards
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.