About This Chapter
Events & Major Figures of the Renaissance - Chapter Summary
These lessons look at the events of the European Renaissance, along with the movers and shakers of this period of change. Our instructors will help you dust off your knowledge of Renaissance art and architecture, as well as the work of religious reformers.
Other lessons deal with government and politics, including the birth of Parliament, the 100 Years' War and the Wars of the Roses. You'll look at the development of a banking system and study inventions such as the compass and the printing press. After watching this series of brief lessons, you should know about:
- Italy's transformation during this period
- Humanistic thought
- Paintings, sculpture and architecture during the Renaissance
- The creation of modern nation states
- New ideas about religion
- Changes in the economic system
- England and the Tudors during this period
- The impact of the printing press
You can watch these videos on a computer, smartphone or tablet, moving through them as your schedule permits. Each lesson includes an exam so you can assess your knowledge. Video tags allow you to return quickly to a particular part of the lesson that requires additional review.
1. The Renaissance Timeline: Events Overview
In this lesson, we will build an outline of the historical events which flow together to form the time periods of the Renaissance, Reformation, Age of Discovery, and the Elizabethan era.
2. The Italian Renaissance and Italy's Transformation
This lesson will discuss the three main reasons why Italy transformed from a group of competing city-states to the home of the birth of the Renaissance.
3. Humanism in the Renaissance: Recognizing the Beauty of the Individual
In this lesson, we will be discussing how humanism changed the idea of the individual from something sinful and controlled by the Church into something of great beauty and worth.
4. Renaissance Art: Artists, Paintings, Sculptures & Architecture
In this lesson, we will be discussing Renaissance art, focusing primarily on paintings, sculptures, and architecture. We will also be learning how humanism affected the art of this time period.
5. The Birth of Parliament: Monarchs vs. the Aristocracy
This lesson will focus on the rise of monarchies during the Renaissance, highlighting the interactions of these monarchies with the church and the aristocracy.
6. The Renaissance Economy: The Rise of Banking
In this lesson, we will discuss the rise of banking and the Renaissance economy. We will highlight the Medici family and the rise of the middle class.
7. The Formation of Modern Nation States
This lesson explains the formation of the modern nation-states. It will highlight how the decline of feudalism, as well as the decline in church power, helped bring about the modern nation-state. It will also feature several monarchs who ruled during these times.
8. The Renaissance Heresies of Wycliffe and Hus
This lesson will focus on the Renaissance teachings of John Wycliffe and Jan Hus. It will highlight their challenges to church authority, membership and traditions.
9. Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
This lesson analyzes Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, an early classic of English literature. In it we will highlight Chaucer's criticism of social rank, the position of women, and Church corruption.
10. France and the Valois at the End of the 100 Years War
This lesson focuses on France at the end of The Hundred Years War. It will examine the changes to France in the areas of military tactics, feudalism, and its monarchies. It will also highlight the French monarchs of the time period.
11. England and the Tudors at the End of the Wars of the Roses
This lesson will focus on the Tudor Dynasty, which came to power after England's Wars of the Roses. It will focus on the contributions of the five Tudor monarchs in the areas of government, religion, economic and the arts.
12. Leonardo da Vinci: Biography
This lesson will focus on the life of Leonardo da Vinci. It will highlight his career as an artist, an inventor, a scientist and a student of the human form. It will also include many of his most famous works.
13. Reconquista and Spanish Inquisition
This lesson will explain the Spanish Reconquista and the Spanish Inquisition. It will focus on the reasons for each, specifically highlighting the role of Ferdinand and Isabella, and the tortures they allowed.
14. How the Compass Helped Columbus
This lesson will explore the use of the compass during Columbus' voyages to the New World. It will highlight the navigational techniques of dead reckoning and celestial navigation. It will also review the voyages of Columbus.
15. How the Printing Press Changed the World
When you think of inventions that changed the world, you may think of farming tools or the wheel, or even the Internet. However, few can truly compare to the humble printing press.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Help and Review course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy: Help & Review
- AP European History - Reformation Roots & Teachings: Help and Review
- AP History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help & Review
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Help and Review
- How Monarchical Nation States Developed: Help and Review
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Help and Review
- AP History - Scientific Revolution & Enlightenment: Help & Review
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Help and Review
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Help and Review
- AP European History - Western Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - Central Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - First Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- AP European History - Second Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- Nation States Unification in the 19th Century: Help & Review
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - After the Soviet Union: Help & Review
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Writing a Good Essay on the AP European History Exam
- AP European History Exam Essay: Help & Review
- European Discoveries & Wars
- The Reformation of the Catholic Church