About This Chapter
Evidence for the Origin of Life - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, delve into the origins of life on Earth and learn about evolution, speciation and biodiversity. Specifically, you'll explore:
- Origin of life theories
- Fossil evidence supporting speciation, extinction and biodiversity
- Cladograms and phylogenetic trees
- Evidence supporting evolution
The lessons in this chapter have been designed to provide you with various methods for understanding and memorizing the information. Some lessons contain short videos to demonstrate the material. The video's transcript is included as a text-based resource. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each text or video lesson to test your knowledge.
1. What is Geology? - Definition, History, Facts & Topics
Did you know Earth is over 4.5 billion years old? Did you also know that the continents move and have joined together to create supercontinents? Learn about geology, what it is, its history and some interesting facts.
2. The Origin of Life on Earth: Theories and Explanations
Ever wonder how living things came from non-living things? We will explore what conditions on early Earth may have created life from non-living items.
3. Fossil Evidence for Biological Diversity, Speciation, & Mass Extinction
One of the best sources of evidence we have for evolution is the fossil record. Fossils provide a wealth of information on how species change over time and for exciting events like mass extinctions and new species formation.
4. What is Classification in Science? - Definition & System
In order to understand things in science, we need organization. Because science is such a large umbrella term, we have to organize it into different topics. Learn more about classification in science, and take a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. Cladograms and Phylogenetic Trees: Evolution Classifications
Family trees help show how people are related to each other. Similarly, scientists use cladograms and phylogenetic trees to study the relationships between organisms.
6. Scientific Evidence That Supports Evolution
Evolution explains how species that are present on Earth today are modified descendants of their ancestors. This scientific theory is supported by many different types of evidence, which show how evolution is a very real and natural phenomenon.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- Applications of Science & Engineering
- STEM & Society
- Reading & Interpreting Scientific Information
- Properties of Living Systems
- Cell Structure and Functions
- Genetics & Molecular Biology
- Patterns & Processes of Inheritance
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Structures & Functions of Organisms
- Organisms & Homeostasis
- Ecosystems, Populations & Communities
- Ecosystems, Biomes & Environmental Change
- Human Impact on the Biosphere
- MEGA Biology Flashcards