About This Chapter
Evolution Basics - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you'll receive an overview of evolution. Topics covered include evolutionary change, population genetics, and Earth's history. You'll also review the beliefs of scientists like Darwin and Mendel. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the correlation between population genetics and the environment
- Explore scientific evidence supporting evolution
- Describe evolutionary change during Earth's history
- Define modern evolutionary synthesis
Our subject matter experts present the information in these short video lessons using plenty of examples to ensure the material is easy to understand. You can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic. The timelines in the lessons let you easily navigate to specific topics. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as worksheets.
1. Theories of Evolution: Lamarck vs. Darwin
We'll look at the interplay between population genetics and environment. Are traits individually acquired or do entire populations evolve? The flying hamsters and a few other notable experiments will provide the answers.
2. Scientific Evidence That Supports Evolution
Evolution explains how species that are present on Earth today are modified descendants of their ancestors. This scientific theory is supported by many different types of evidence, which show how evolution is a very real and natural phenomenon.
3. Evolutionary Change: Definition and Forms
You've probably heard of Charles Darwin and evolution. We know that evolution is change over time, but here we will look at how these changes may have occurred during Earth's history.
4. Modern Evolutionary Synthesis: Definition & Formation
In this lesson, we will discuss the history of evolutionary theory. We will focus on Darwin and Mendel, discussing why some scientists initially believed these two revolutionaries were incompatible, and how these problems were resolved.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Biological Diversity in the Living World
- The Cell: The Basic Unit of Life
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Biomolecules & Enzymes
- Genetics & DNA
- Digestive & Excretory Systems in Humans
- Respiratory System Overview
- Body Fluids & Circulation
- Movement, Control & Coordination of the Body
- Human Reproduction & Development
- Overview of Plant Structure & Function
- Photosynthesis & Respiration
- Plant Reproduction Overview
- Plant Growth & Movement
- Ecology Overview
- Biodiversity & Environmental Issues
- Relationship Between Biology & Human Welfare
- Biotechnology & Its Applications
- BITSAT Exam - Biology Flashcards