About This Chapter
Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity- Chapter Summary
You can use these entertaining and concise lessons to learn about important science topics such as evolution. Our professional and knowledgeable instructors designed these lessons in ways that are easy to understand. Topics you'll study in the lessons for this chapter include:
- Evolution theory and how populations and traits evolve
- Influences of natural selection on the environment
- How new species form through speciation
- Evidence of evolution
- Information that fossil records give on evolution
These lessons are mobile friendly. They can be accessed via a tablet or smartphone as you master the material. Having the freedom and flexibility to access these lessons wherever possible maximizes the study experience. In addition, these lessons can be reviewed multiple times until you have a handle on the information.
1. Theories of Evolution: Lamarck vs. Darwin
We'll look at the interplay between population genetics and environment. Are traits individually acquired or do entire populations evolve? The flying hamsters and a few other notable experiments will provide the answers.
2. Natural Selection & Adaptation Processes
Through the process of adaptation, natural selection shapes the variety of life that exists around us. This lesson will explore some of the ways this process can take place.
3. Overview of Speciation Types & Barriers
Have you ever wondered how a new species arises? This lesson will examine speciation, or when a new species forms, as well as barriers that prevent separate species from mating.
4. Scientific Evidence That Supports Evolution
Evolution explains how species that are present on Earth today are modified descendants of their ancestors. This scientific theory is supported by many different types of evidence, which show how evolution is a very real and natural phenomenon.
5. Fossil Evidence for Biological Diversity, Speciation, & Mass Extinction
One of the best sources of evidence we have for evolution is the fossil record. Fossils provide a wealth of information on how species change over time and for exciting events like mass extinctions and new species formation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards