About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Experimental Laboratory chapter into a 3-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Chemistry Lab Equipment: Supplies, Glassware and More||Frequent chemistry lab processes and commonly-used equipment|
|Tuesday||Chemistry Lab Safety & Accuracy Procedures & Equipment||Rules for lab safety and accuracy in performing experiments|
|Wednesday||How to Identify Chemicals in Solution: Test Methods & Materials||Methods of identifying chemicals in solution, including precipitation, flame tests and acid-base reaction|
1. Chemistry Lab Safety & Accuracy Procedures & Equipment
Working safely and collecting accurate data are the two most important parts of working in a chemistry lab. This lesson will give tips so you can succeed in both areas.
2. Chemistry Safety Lesson Plan
Teaching your students how to be safe in the chemistry lab setting can be challenging, but fun. Your students will watch an interesting video, have a discussion, complete safety posters, and take a quiz.
3. Lab Safety Lesson Plan
This lesson plan allows students to learn lab safety in a fun, creative way. Begin the lesson with a short video and then have students work independently, creating comics that can be posted around the room that remind students of the lab rules.
4. Chemistry Lab Equipment: Supplies, Glassware & More
When you bake a cake, you use different tools for each step in the process: a bowl for mixing, cups for measuring ingredients and an oven for baking. In this lesson, you will discover the name and purpose of many of the different tools that are used in the chemistry lab.
5. Lab Safety Equipment Lesson Plan
Lab safety equipment can help to decrease the ramifications of an accident in the lab. This lesson plan is an interesting way to introduce lab safety equipment to your students as they watch a video and complete lab safety equipment activities.
6. How to Identify Chemicals in Solution: Test Methods & Materials
Do you have a mysterious solution sitting around? Learn to identify it using one of the following methods: through precipitation, using conduction, using a flame test, using an acid-base indicator and observing the color of the solution.
7. Chemistry Projects for High School
This lesson provides a wide array of activities that can be done in the chemistry classroom. Most include math skills along with the chemistry lesson.
8. Environmental Chemistry Experiments
If you are a teacher of chemistry, you might be interested in helping your students think about the environment. The experiments in this lesson help with the application of chemistry to environmental studies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Unit Conversion Lesson Plans
- Properties of Matter Lesson Plans
- Atomic Structure Lesson Plans
- The Periodic Table Lesson Plans
- The Representative Elements of the Periodic Table Lesson Plans
- Nuclear Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Chemical Bonding Lesson Plans
- Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids Lesson Plans
- Gases in Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Solutions in Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Stoichiometry Lesson Plans
- Acids & Bases Lesson Plans
- Equilibrium Lesson Plans
- Chemistry Kinetics Lesson Plans
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry Lesson Plans
- Organic Chemistry Basics Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication Lesson Plans