About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Inequalities chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the math concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Definition of inequality
- Solving one- and two-step linear inequalities
- Solving multi-step inequalities with properties
- Solving with variables on both sides
- Compound inequality
- How to graph absolute value inequalities
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. Solving One-Step Linear Inequalities
In this video lesson, you will learn how you can solve any kind of linear inequality that only requires one step. Learn when you need to subtract, when you need to add, when you need to multiply, and when you need to divide.
3. Solving Two-Step Linear Inequalities
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve any kind of linear inequality problem where you only have to perform two steps. You will know in what order to perform each step and you will know just what kind of operation you need to do.
4. Solving Multi-Step Inequalities with Math Properties
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve multi-step inequalities with math properties. We'll explain how the distributive, addition and multiplication properties come into play with inequalities, and use them in examples of solving inequalities.
5. Solving Inequalities With Variables On Both Sides
Inequalities are math sentences that indicate one side of the sentence has a different value than the other (greater than or less than). Learn the process of solving these sentences, and the one twist that makes it different from solving equations.
6. Compound Inequality: Definition & Concept
A compound inequality is simply the combination of two or more inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn about different ways two inequalities can be combined and how to find their solution using a number line.
7. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 1: Equations
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 3: Functions
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 4: Linear Functions
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 5: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 6: Exponents and Polynomials
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 7: Factoring Polynomials
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 8: Quadratic Functions and Equations
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 9: Exponential Functions
- Explorations in Core Math Algebra 1 Chapter 10: Data Analysis