About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Polygons and Quadrilaterals chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the polygons and quadrilaterals concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the geometry topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- The parts of a regular polygon
- Inscribed and circumscribed figures
- Parallelograms and their properties
- Finding the number of diagonals in a polygon
- Shapes and their properties
- Using slope to prove quadrilaterals
- Kites and trapezoids in geometry
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
Polygons are two dimensional shapes with straight sides, and regular polygons are those with all equal sides and angles. Learn the differences between regular and irregular polygons and the various parts that are used to create them.
2. Inscribed and Circumscribed Figures: Definition & Construction
Inscribed figures are shapes drawn in other shapes while circumscribed figures are shapes drawn outside other shapes. Study the definition and construction of inscribed polygons and circles and circumscribed figures, and find practice problems.
3. Parallelograms: Definition, Properties, and Proof Theorems
A parallelogram is a flat shape with four sides, with opposite sides that are equal and parallel. Study the definition of a parallelogram, the properties of the shape including sides and angles, and how to use proof theorems to identify this shape.
4. How to Find the Number of Diagonals in a Polygon
A polygon has straight sides, is flat in shape, and contains diagonals. Explore the definition of a diagonal and a polygon, and learn how to use a simple formula to find the number of diagonals in a polygon.
5. Properties of Shapes: Rectangles, Squares and Rhombuses
Different objects come in different shapes that help achieve their purpose. Learn about the properties of different shapes, including rectangles, squares, and rhombuses.
6. Using Slope to Prove or Disprove a Quadrilateral
In this lesson we will look at how we can use slope to determine whether a set of four coordinate pairs defining a quadrilateral constitutes a parallelogram or a rectangle.
7. Kites in Geometry: Definition and Properties
A potentially confusing topic in geometry like kites can be made simple by imagining its shape. Learn what a kite in geometry is, including its definition and properties, such as its sides and angles, and the special cases of a rhombus and square.
8. Trapezoid: Definition, Properties & Formulas
A geometric figure with four sides and at least one set of parallel sides is called a trapezoid. Learn about the definition/properties of trapezoids and how to correctly use geometric formulas to calculate the perimeter and area of a trapezoid.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 1: Foundations for Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 2: Geometric Reasoning
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 4: Triangle Congruence
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 5: Properties and Attributes of Triangles
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 7: Similarity
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 8: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 9: Extending Transformational Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 10: Extending Perimeter, Circumference and Area
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 11: Spatial Reasoning
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 12: Circles
- Explorations in Core Math Geometry Chapter 13: Probablity