About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Operations & Properties chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the math concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Using estimation with addition, multiplication and division of whole numbers
- Performing long division with large whole numbers
- How to simplify and solve an exponential expression
- Understanding and using the order of operations
- Employing order of operations with exponential expressions
- Explanation of the commutative, distributive and associative properties
- Solving one- and two-step problems with mental math
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Estimating With Whole Numbers
In this lesson you will learn about whole numbers: what they are, how to estimate with them, and ways to round. You will understand how rounding and estimating are closely related.
2. Estimating Sums, Products and Divisors of Whole Numbers
In this lesson, we will discuss how to estimate the sums, differences, products, and divisors of a whole number. You will learn about strategies to estimate the sums, differences, products, and divisors of a whole number using a real-life problem.
3. Performing Long Division with Large Numbers: Steps and Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to divide larger numbers. You'll learn an easy to follow procedure that you can use to divide any two numbers.
4. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
5. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
6. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
7. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
8. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
9. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
10. Using Mental Math to Solve One-Step Problems: Lesson for Kids
After reading this lesson, solving problems in your head will be easier, and you'll be able to answer your teacher or friends quickly and easily. Learn the technique that will help you quickly solve problems in your head.
11. Using Mental Math to Solve Two-Step Problems: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we will discuss how to mentally solve multi-step math problems. You can solve the math problems provided in two easy steps. We will complete a few examples for practice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 6: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 2: Introduction to Algebra
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 3: Decimals
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 4: Number Theory & Fractions
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 5: Fraction Operations
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 6: Data Collection & Analysis
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 7: Proportional Relationships
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 8: Measurement & Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 9: Integers & Coordinate Plane
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 10: Functions