About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Decimals chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the decimals concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Understanding place value in decimals
- Ordering and comparing decimal numbers
- Translate from decimal numbers to word names
- Performing estimations and operations with decimals
- How to understand the quotient when dividing decimals
- Simplifying expressions with decimals
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
3. Using Word Names for Decimal Numbers
In this video lesson, we go in depth into translating our decimal numbers into the English language. Learn how to write out decimal numbers and the special situations that there are.
4. Estimating Sums, Differences & Products of Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to estimate any decimal number to help you simplify your math problems. See how easy it is to estimate your answer when you are trying to find the sum, difference, or product.
5. Estimating Decimal Products and Quotients
In this lesson, we will see how to round decimals, and we will use rounding decimals to estimate decimal products and quotients. We will look at examples to help solidify our understanding of this process.
6. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
7. Adding & Subtracting Decimals Using Models & Pictures
This lesson will teach you to add and subtract numbers with decimals using models. You will learn the process for adding and subtracting decimals, as well as how to accurately record the sums and differences.
8. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
9. Dividing Decimals: Steps, Rules & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some division terminology. Then, you'll learn the steps for decimal division and see them carried out in a few examples. Afterward, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
10. Interpreting the Quotient
By reading this lesson, you'll learn a visual way that can help you understand division problems and their resulting answers. Learn how you can use this visual way to help you solve division problems.
11. How to Simplify Expressions Involving Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to take any expression involving decimals and simplify it. You'll learn what to look for and what things you can combine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 6: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 1: Operations & Properties
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 2: Introduction to Algebra
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 4: Number Theory & Fractions
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 5: Fraction Operations
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 6: Data Collection & Analysis
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 7: Proportional Relationships
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 8: Measurement & Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 9: Integers & Coordinate Plane
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 10: Functions