About This Chapter
How It Works
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Fraction Operations chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the fractions concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Identifying and finding least common multiple
- Addition and subtraction of mixed numbers and unlike fractions
- Performing operations with mixed numbers, fractions and rational numbers
- Using regrouping for subtraction with mixed numbers
- How to use rational numbers to solve problems
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
2. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
3. Subtracting Mixed Numbers With Regrouping
Subtracting mixed numbers requires taking the combined difference of two types of numbers. A useful method is called regrouping. This lesson shows when and how to regroup mixed numbers for subtraction.
4. Adding & Subtracting Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to add and subtract rational numbers like a pro. Learn what is involved in adding and subtracting these types of numbers.
5. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
6. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
7. Multiplying & Dividing Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to multiply and divide rational numbers. You will know when you need to flip your number and when you don't.
8. Solving Problems Using Rational Equations
Follow the steps you will learn in this video lesson to help you solve rational equation problems. See how the process turns what looks like a huge problem into a much simpler and easier to manage problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 6: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 1: Operations & Properties
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 2: Introduction to Algebra
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 3: Decimals
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 4: Number Theory & Fractions
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 6: Data Collection & Analysis
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 7: Proportional Relationships
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 8: Measurement & Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 9: Integers & Coordinate Plane
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 10: Functions