About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Proportional Relationships chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the math concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Understanding, using and solving problems with rates and ratios
- Calculating unit prices and rates
- Explanation of equivalent ratios
- Exploring rates and ratios using tables and graphs
- Working with the coordinate plane and coordinate grid
- Definition and explanation of percent and proportion
- Conversions between fractions and decimals and percents
- Figuring taxes and discounts and finding simple interest
- Using percents to solve problems
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Solve Ratio Word Problems
We see ratios all around us every day. From the grocery store, to forecasting into the future, to enlarging or shrinking pictures, a command of ratios can be a powerful math tool. In this lesson, learn how to solve word problems with ratios in them.
3. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
4. How to Calculate Unit Rates & Unit Prices
One of the most common uses of math is to find out whether something is a 'good deal.' Unit prices, a special kind of unit rate, allow us to determine the best deals. In this lesson, learn how to calculate unit rates, including unit prices.
5. Equivalent Ratios: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what ratios are and discover their relationship with fractions. You'll also learn what makes ratios equivalent and look at some examples.
6. Using Tables & Graphs to Explore Ratios & Rates
In this lesson, students will learn how to determine the ratio or rate of change of a relation from a table or graph. Students will also compare and contrast ratios, rates, and rates of change.
7. Ordered Pairs on the Coordinate Plane
In this video lesson, you will see how points are plotted on the coordinate plane. Learn the proper way to identify points on the coordinate plane and how to read the points.
8. How to Use a Coordinate Grid to Solve Number & Word Problems
When it comes to solving math word problems, you can use various tools to help you solve the problem. One of these tools is the coordinate grid. This lesson will show you how to use the coordinate grid to visualize your problem and find an easy solution to it.
9. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
10. What is a Percent? - Definition & Examples
Thinking in terms of pizza is an excellent way to think about percentages. Learn how it can help you understand percentages in this video lesson. You will also learn about the uses of percentages in the real world.
11. Converting Fractions to Percents & Back
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to turn any fraction into a percent and vice versa. You will learn how they are related and how to write your answers properly.
12. Changing Between Decimals and Percents
Watch as we go on a rollercoaster ride in changing from a decimal to percent and then back again. Learn to master this technique so you can get as fast as a rollercoaster going downhill on tests and quizzes when you have to convert between the two.
13. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
14. How to Find Simple Interest Rate: Definition, Formula & Examples
When we borrow a certain sum of money over a period of time, we agree that we will pay it back, along with a fee, known as the interest owed. Similarly, when we invest a sum of money in a savings account, the account earns us interest. This lesson will show you how to calculate a certain type of interest called simple interest.
15. Solve Problems Using Percents
Percents are your friend. Think of all the cool things percents do for you. They save you money, and they tell you how well you are doing in school. Learn how you can solve problems with percents in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 6: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 1: Operations & Properties
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 2: Introduction to Algebra
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 3: Decimals
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 4: Number Theory & Fractions
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 5: Fraction Operations
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 6: Data Collection & Analysis
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 8: Measurement & Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 9: Integers & Coordinate Plane
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 10: Functions