About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Measurement & Geometry chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the geometric measurement concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Making conversions with measurement systems and time
- How to find area of triangles, trapezoids, rectangles and parallelograms
- Measuring area and circumference of circles
- Calculating area of complex figures
- Surface area and lateral surface area
- Defining and working with pyramids, cones, prisms and cylinders
- Converting a 3-D figure to a 2-D net
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
2. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
3. Converting Units of Time
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the units of time that we use to count time and know how to convert between these units. Learn the one number that you have to multiply and divide by to make your conversions.
4. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
5. Measuring the Area of a Parallelogram: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn the simple formula to find the area of a parallelogram. Learn what measurements you need, how to label your parallelogram, and how to use the formula.
6. Measuring the Area of a Trapezoid
In this video lesson, you will watch and learn how you can find the area of trapezoid. Learn what measurements you need to have on hand as well as the formula that you need to use.
7. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
8. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
9. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
10. Lateral Surface Area: Definition & Formula
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of the lateral surface area of a three-dimensional object. You will apply lateral surface area formulas for some three-dimensional shapes to see how to find the lateral surface area of various objects.
11. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
12. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
13. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
14. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
15. Nets of 3-Dimensional Figures
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to deconstruct a 3-dimensional figure into its 2-dimensional net. Learn what kind of shape you will get after opening and flattening your 3-dimensional figure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 6: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 1: Operations & Properties
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 2: Introduction to Algebra
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 3: Decimals
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 4: Number Theory & Fractions
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 5: Fraction Operations
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 6: Data Collection & Analysis
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 7: Proportional Relationships
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 9: Integers & Coordinate Plane
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 10: Functions