About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Integers & Coordinate Plane chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the math concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Understanding integers and the number line
- Explanation of the inverse property
- Identifying absolute value and opposite integers
- Comparing integers
- How to plot points and shift graphs on a coordinate plane
- Defining, graphing and finding perimeter of polygons
- Comparing quadrilaterals, graphing and locating plane figures
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are Integers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about integers - what they are and what distinguishes them from other types of numbers. We'll also take a look at a few examples of things that can or cannot be measured with integers.
2. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
3. Inverse Property: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of inverse property as it applies to different types of numbers. You will also look at examples that show you how to find the additive inverse and multiplicative inverse of a number.
4. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
5. Absolute Value & Opposite Integers
After watching this video lesson, you'll understand what an absolute value is, and you'll also learn how to find the opposite of an integer. In addition, you'll learn how every pair of opposite integers will always add up to zero.
6. How to Compare Integers
In this lesson, you'll learn how numbers or integers compare to others integers. In no time, you will be able to easily and quickly determine whether one number is smaller than, larger than, or equal to another.
7. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
8. What Are Polygons? - Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how the shapes that you grew up with are all related. Learn why the shapes of bricks, stars, and street blocks are considered polygons while the sun, moon, and rolling hills are not.
9. Finding the Perimeter of Polygons
In this video lesson, you will learn the process you need to take to find the perimeter of polygons. You will also learn that there is a shortcut if your polygon is a regular polygon.
10. Graphing Polygons on the Coordinate Plane
In this lesson, we will learn how to graph a polygon on a coordinate plane given its vertices as points. We will also look at different characteristics of the polygon that we can find by graphing the polygon.
11. Similarities & Differences of Quadrilaterals
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find similarities and differences between two quadrilaterals. Learn what aspects of the quadrilaterals you need to focus on to find the similarities and differences.
12. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 6: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 1: Operations & Properties
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 2: Introduction to Algebra
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 3: Decimals
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 4: Number Theory & Fractions
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 5: Fraction Operations
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 6: Data Collection & Analysis
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 7: Proportional Relationships
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 8: Measurement & Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 6 - Chapter 10: Functions