About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Proportional Relationships chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the proportional relationships concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Finding solutions to complex fractions
- Computing unit prices and rates and using rates to solve problems
- Exploring ratios and rates with tables and graphs
- Solving word problems with ratios
- Working with fraction notation and equivalent expressions
- Understanding and solving problems with proportions
- Illustrations and explanation of similar figures and polygons
- Reading, constructing and interpreting scale drawings and maps
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
2. How to Calculate Unit Rates & Unit Prices
One of the most common uses of math is to find out whether something is a 'good deal.' Unit prices, a special kind of unit rate, allow us to determine the best deals. In this lesson, learn how to calculate unit rates, including unit prices.
3. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
4. How to Solve Ratio Word Problems
We see ratios all around us every day. From the grocery store, to forecasting into the future, to enlarging or shrinking pictures, a command of ratios can be a powerful math tool. In this lesson, learn how to solve word problems with ratios in them.
5. Using Tables & Graphs to Explore Ratios & Rates
In this lesson, students will learn how to determine the ratio or rate of change of a relation from a table or graph. Students will also compare and contrast ratios, rates, and rates of change.
6. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
7. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
8. Solving Problems Involving Proportions: Definition and Examples
Learn how you can use proportions to find missing sides and how to increase or decrease the sizes of objects to create models of them in this video lesson.
9. Similar Figures: Definition & Examples
Similar figures show up quite often in the world around us. In this lesson, we will discuss similar figures and their properties. At the end of the lesson, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
11. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
12. How to Construct and Interpret a Scale Map
This lesson will explain what a scale map is and how it represents two different things on the map expressed as a ratio. This lesson will also demonstrate the steps needed to create a scale map from any ordinary map.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 7: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 1: Algebraic Reasoning
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 2: Integers & Rational Numbers
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 3: Applying Rational Numbers
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 5: Graphs
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 6: Percents
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 7: Collecting, Displaying & Analyzing Data
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 8: Geometric Figures
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 9: Measurement & Geometry
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 10: Probability
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 11: Multi-Step Equations & Inequalities