About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Measurement & Geometry chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the measurement and geometry concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Formula and definition of perimeter
- Calculating circumference and diameter using pi
- How to compute area and circumference of a circle
- Figuring area of complex figures
- Working with 3-D figures and nets of 3-D figures
- Understanding faces, edges and vertices of polyhedrons
- Explanation and definition of cross section
- Defining and finding area and volume of prisms and cylinders
Explorations in Core Math is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Perimeter? - Definition & Formula
In mathematics, the perimeter is the distance around a two-dimensional shape. The formula for finding the perimeter of certain shapes will be discussed in this lesson, and there will be some examples to help you understand how to calculate the perimeter.
2. Diameter and Circumference Related with Pi
After watching this video, you will be able to tell others how the number pi is related to a circle's diameter and circumference. And using your newfound knowledge, you will be able to calculate the circumference or diameter of a circle.
3. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
4. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
5. Overview of Three-dimensional Shapes in Geometry
We are surrounded by three-dimensional shapes. Watch this video lesson to see what some three-dimensional shapes look like, such as a cube, a sphere, a brick, and a cylinder.
6. Nets of 3-Dimensional Figures
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to deconstruct a 3-dimensional figure into its 2-dimensional net. Learn what kind of shape you will get after opening and flattening your 3-dimensional figure.
7. Counting Faces, Edges & Vertices of Polyhedrons
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to count how many faces, edges, and vertices a polyhedron has. Also, you will learn how the number of faces, edges, and vertices are related.
8. Cross Section: Definition & Example
This lesson will define cross sections. We will look at famous types of cross sections called conic sections, how cross sections show up in the world around us, and how the study of these is useful in various real world scenarios.
9. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
10. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Explorations in Core Math - Grade 7: Online Textbook Help course
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 1: Algebraic Reasoning
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 2: Integers & Rational Numbers
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 3: Applying Rational Numbers
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 4: Proportional Relationships
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 5: Graphs
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 6: Percents
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 7: Collecting, Displaying & Analyzing Data
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 8: Geometric Figures
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 10: Probability
- Explorations in Core Math Grade 7 - Chapter 11: Multi-Step Equations & Inequalities