About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other precalculus work.
- Identify the exponential and logarithmic functions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school precalculus tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn exponential and logarithmic functions and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the inverse of logarithmic functions, the natural log, shifted graphs of logarithmic functions or any other exponential and logarithmic functions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their exponential functions and logarithmic functions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in precalculus
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning exponential and logarithmic functions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live precalculus tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn exponential functions and logarithmic functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define exponential functions.
- Compare and contrast exponential growth and exponential decay.
- Transform exponential functions.
- Learn how to use the natural base e.
- Define and evaluate logarithms.
- Write inverse logarithmic functions.
- Graph basic and shifted logarithmic functions.
- Name the properties of logarithms.
- Solve logarithmic equations.
- Explain the applications of the change-of-base formula.
- Solve exponential equations.
- Calculate rate and exponential growth.
- Compare the behavior of exponential and logarithmic functions.
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. Transformation of Exponential Functions: Examples & Summary
All exponential functions follow a basic graph. But when you make changes to the function, you will see the graph shift and make changes. Watch this video lesson to learn how to easily identify these changes or transformations.
4. Using the Natural Base e: Definition & Overview
In this video lesson, you will learn what kind of number 'e' is. Also learn the formal name for this unique number. See what kind of graph the natural base 'e' graphs into, as well as the uses of these types of functions.
5. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
6. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
7. Writing the Inverse of Logarithmic Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how inverses are related to the original function. Also learn a method to find the inverse of logarithmic functions that you can easily use.
8. Exponentials, Logarithms & the Natural Log
Use the properties of exponentials and logarithms to learn how carbon dating works. This lesson covers properties of a natural log and rules of logarithms.
9. Basic Graphs & Shifted Graphs of Logarithmic Functions: Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson and you will see what the basic graph of the logarithmic function looks like. You will also be able to identify the kind of shifts that will occur by just looking at a logarithmic function when you finish the video.
10. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
11. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
12. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
13. Using the Change-of-Base Formula for Logarithms: Definition & Example
Logarithms have many uses in the real world. But what happens when the calculation uses a base other than the standard base 10? Watch this video to find out how to handle this situation and the formula to use.
14. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
15. Calculating Rate and Exponential Growth: The Population Dynamics Problem
You know how the world population keeps increasing? It's increasing faster now than it was 100 or 1,000 years ago. In this lesson, learn how differential equations predict this type of exponential growth.
16. Behavior of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to recognize exponential and logarithmic functions by looking at the end behavior of the graphs. You will also learn how the graphs change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Tutoring Solution course
- Working with Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Working With Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Absolute Value Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Complex Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Systems of Linear Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Mathematical Modeling: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Quadratics in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Quadratic Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Functions - Basics for Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Function Operations: Tutoring Solution
- Graph Symmetry: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing with Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Rate of Change in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Functions and Difference Quotients: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs: Tutoring Solution
- Using Trigonometric Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Graphs: Tutoring Solution
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Identities: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Applications in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants: Tutoring Solution
- Mathematical Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- Sets in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections: Tutoring Solution
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations: Tutoring Solution
- Continuity in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in Precalculus: Tutoring Solution