About This Chapter
The Exponentials and Logarithms chapter of this College Algebra Help and Review course is the simplest way to master solving exponential and logarithmic equations. This chapter uses simple and fun videos that are about five minutes long, plus lesson quizzes and a chapter exam to ensure students learn the essentials of exponentials and logarithms.
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college algebra material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn college algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to evaluate logarithms or ways to solve exponential equations.
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about exponentials and logarithms
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Exponentials and Logarithms chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Exponentials and Logarithms chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any logarithm or exponential question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an Exponentials and Logarithms unit of a standard college algebra course. Topics covered include:
- How exponential functions are used in real life
- Graphing exponential growth and decay
- Understanding why logarithms are useful
- Solving exponential and logarithmic equations
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
4. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
5. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
6. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
7. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
8. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations
- Overview of Roots & Radical Expressions
- Overview of Continuity in Mathematics
- Overview of Mathematical Limits