About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering SAT mathematics level 2 material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for this SAT math subject test. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to solve exponential and logarithmic equations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about exponentials and logarithms for the SAT
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Exponentials and Logarithms in Math chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Exponentials and Logarithms in Math chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any exponentials and logarithms question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an exponentials and logarithms unit of a standard math course. Topics covered include:
- Exponential functions
- Exponential growth and decay
- Methods for solving exponential equations
- Logarithmic properties
- Methods for solving logarithmic equations
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
4. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
5. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
6. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
7. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
8. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Mathematics Level 2: Help and Review course
- Basic Math Review: Help and Review
- Square Roots: Help and Review
- Basic Algebraic Expressions in Math: Help and Review
- Exponents in Math: Help and Review
- Linear Equations & Inequalities in Algebra: Help and Review
- Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Polynomials in Algebra: Help and Review
- Functions in Math: Help and Review
- Rational Expressions in Algebra: Help and Review
- Matrices: Help and Review
- Sequences and Series in Math: Help and Review
- Complex Numbers in Math: Help and Review
- Coordinate Geometry Basics: Help and Review
- Graphing Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Advanced Coordinate Geometry: Help and Review
- Three-Dimensional Geometry: Help and Review
- Overview of Trigonometry: Help and Review
- Probability, Combinations & Permutations: Help and Review
- Working with Data & Statistics: Help and Review
- Logic: Help and Review
- Limits in Math: Help and Review