About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help preparing for the math portion of the GMAT will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the five main exponent properties or how to simplify expressions using exponents.
- Need an efficient way to learn about exponents.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra GMAT resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Exponents chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Exponents chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What's the procedure for simplifying expressions with exponents?
- How do negative and a zero exponents differ from each other?
- What are rational exponents?
- How can expressions with rational exponents be simplified?
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
6. Negative Exponent: Definition & Rules
Negative exponents have caused problems for math students as long as they have been defined. This lesson will shed some light on the negative exponent: what it means and how to work with it in a math problem.
7. How to Convert Scientific Notation to Standard Form
Scientific notation is very useful, especially when one is working with huge numbers or microscopic ones. This lesson will help make scientific notation less confusing and clarify when and how it is used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Prep: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic Calculations: Help and Review
- Rational Numbers: Help and Review
- Decimals and Percents: Help and Review
- Data & Statistics: Help and Review
- Basic Algebraic Expressions: Help and Review
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- Algebra - Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebra - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Perimeter, Area & Volume: Help and Review
- Geometric Properties of Objects: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- Geometric Graphing Functions: Help and Review
- Writing Conventions - Grammar: Help and Review
- Usage in Writing: Help and Review
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Practical Applications for Test-Taking: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Basics: Help and Review
- Essay Clarity: Help and Review
- Editing Your Writing: Help and Review
- Practicing Analytical Writing: Help and Review
- GMAT Test: General Info
- GMAT Prep Flashcards