About This Chapter
Exponents, Polynomials & Quadratics - Chapter Summary
This chapter demonstrates the application of exponents, polynomials and quadratics within various mathematic operations. The lessons also go over the properties and definitions of these mathematic terms to familiarize you with what they entail. By the end of the chapter, you'll have refreshed and bolstered your understanding of all of the following:
- Defining exponents, polynomials, binomials and quadratics
- Dividing polynomials using long division
- Quadratic equations
- Solving quadratics and using the quadratic formula
Using the dashboard feature, you can check-up on your recent activity and progress through the chapter at any time. While there you can also explore links to recommended practice quizzes and additional courses to supplement your current studies. And if you ever get stuck, you can always ask our professional instructors for assistance via the teacher or help tab.
1. Exponent: Definition & Properties
An exponent tells you how many times to use a number in a multiplication problem. This lesson will define the properties of exponents and how to interpret them. There will also be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
2. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
3. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
4. How to Divide Polynomials with Long Division
Arithmetic long division and polynomial long division are very similar. Yes, it's a long process, but once you have the rhythm you will get every problem correct!
5. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
6. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
7. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PAX RN: Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Reading Comprehension
- Learning & Using Vocabulary
- Basic Arithmetic Operations
- Essential Math Review
- Properties of Geometric Shapes & Angles
- Cell Biology Overview
- Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Biology of Living Things
- Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- Scientific Method & Reasoning
- Understanding Chemistry Basics
- Chemical Changes & Reactions
- Physics Concepts
- Speed, Acceleration & Momentum
- PAX RN Flashcards