About This Chapter
Expressing Preference in Spanish - Chapter Summary
When you are learning to speak Spanish, you will come to a point where you will need to understand how to express your personal preferences. This chapter focuses on the conjugation of verbs associated with preferences, including likes and dislikes. The lessons have been separated to address individual topics. As our lessons are short and usually can be completed in less than 10 minutes, you can easily complete one lesson after the other. Since we offer everything online, you can even use your favorite device to study while away from home. Once you have made your way through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe ways to conjugate gustar
- Identify how gustar works with nouns
- Analyze verbs that are similar to gustar
- Compare ways to express dislikes and likes in Spanish
- Check out the conjugation of typical -ir and -er Spanish verbs
- Examine regular -er verb conjugation
- Explain -ir verb conjugation in present tense
- Point out the differences with stem change verbs
1. Gustar: Conjugation and Example Sentences
In this lesson, we will be talking about our likes and dislikes. 'Gustar' is a special verb, and it is used and conjugated very differently than other -AR verbs. You will see how it is paired with other verbs to talk about activities that you like and dislike.
2. Gustar: How Gustar is Used with Nouns in Spanish Grammar
In this lesson, we will work with the verb gustar. In another lesson, we learned how to talk about what we like to do using verbs. Now, we will learn how to talk about things, or nouns, we like and dislike.
3. Spanish Grammar: Verbs Like Gustar
What sorts of things do you like? What interests you or bores you? Are there things that bother or upset you? In this lesson, you will learn to express all of these feelings in Spanish.
4. Talking About Likes and Dislikes in Spanish: Comprehension Activity
In this lesson, you will get an opportunity to listen to various passages dealing with the verb gustar. You will also be able to practice your reading skills as you read short texts and answer comprehension questions.
5. Common -ER and -IR Verbs in Spanish
This video will introduce students to some common -er and -ir verbs in Spanish. All the verbs in this video are regular, and contain no orthographic or stem changes. Students will learn several new verbs and will have a brief opportunity to test their knowledge in the video.
6. Conjugation of Regular -ER Verbs in Spanish
This video will introduce students to the endings of regular -er verbs in the present tense. After the endings are introduced, students will see them as used with the verb 'comer,' 'to eat.'
7. Present Tense Conjugation of Regular -IR Verbs in Spanish
This video will introduce you to the endings of regular -ir verbs in the present tense. After the endings are introduced, we'll practice with a common -ir verb.
8. Stem Change Verbs in Spanish: O - UE
In this lesson, we will talk about stem change in Spanish and how it works when conjugating certain verbs. We will focus on the o > ue stem change in the present tense. We will also practice vocabulary related to describing the house.
9. Stem Change Verbs in Spanish: E - IE / E - I
In this lesson, we will talk about stem change in Spanish and how it works when conjugating certain verbs. We will focus on the e > ie and e > i stem changes in the present tense. We will also practice vocabulary related to describing a house.
10. Spanish Practice Activity: Using Common -ER and -IR Verbs
In this video, students will hear speakers describe what they do during the week. The grammatical emphasis will be on regular -er and -ir verbs in context. After each speaker is finished, translations will be provided.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Spanish 105: Spanish for the Workplace course
- Culture & Etiquette in Spanish-Speaking Countries
- Introductions & Salutations in Spanish
- Numbers & Payment in Spanish
- Customer Service in Spanish
- Appointments & Dates in Spanish
- Talking About Time in Spanish
- Professions in Spanish
- Office Buildings in Spanish
- Office Tasks & Errands in Spanish
- Leisure Activities in Spanish
- Spanish Terms for Technology
- Job Applications & Interviews in Spanish
- Business Communication in Spanish
- Work & Benefits in Spanish
- Negotiations & Meetings in Spanish
- Office Roles & Positions in Spanish
- Required Assignments for Spanish 105
- Studying for Spanish 105