About This Chapter
Expressions & Equations Overview - Chapter Summary
Sometimes a quick recap can help you jog your memories concerning math topics, such as expressions and equations. This chapter offers a fast and interactive way to refresh your memories as you go over the steps necessary for understanding and solving various types of algebraic expressions. By completing these lessons, you should be ready to:
- Describe algebraic expressions by expressing relationships
- Identify how to write algebraic expressions for 2-D geometric figures
- Analyze simple algebraic expressions
- Check out the associative and commutative properties
- Define the distributive property
- Examine how to combine like terms
- Explain the process for writing equivalent expressions
- Recall how to use integers to simplify expressions
- Offer examples of a system of linear equations
- Review the definition of a linear combination
One way to monitor your progress with these study materials includes answering the lessons' quiz questions. These brief, selected-response-style quizzes will challenge you and test your skills in mathematics. Our quizzes have been designed to verify what you know about such things as major terminology, definitions, concept applications, formulas, and more. Printable quiz worksheets are also available for off-line study sessions.
The quizzes can be taken at any time, including before you even review the lesson materials. If you choose to take the quizzes before reviewing the lessons, you will be able to determine how much you already know about any given topic. By taking the quizzes first, you can quickly identify what lesson topics you do not know as well, and you can focus on those specific lessons during your studies.
1. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
2. Writing & Evaluating Algebraic Expressions for Two-Dimensional Geometric Figures
Learning more about algebraic expressions and geometric figures will help you solve problems that occur in your life. In this lesson, you will use the perimeter of a two-dimensional geometric shape to solve a real-world problem.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
5. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
6. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
7. Writing Equivalent Expressions: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what an algebraic expression is and what makes two algebraic expressions equivalent. You'll also see some examples of equivalent expressions.
8. How to Simplify Expressions with Integers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any integer expression by following the order of operations. Learn what to watch for and in what order to do your operations.
9. System of Linear Equations: Definition & Examples
A system of linear equations can come in handy when we come across problems where we have more than one quantity to find. In this lesson, we'll learn how to define a system of linear equations and look at examples.
10. Linear Combination: Definition & Examples
Linear combination is a method that is used to solve a system of linear equations. This lesson outlines the three basic ways that linear combination can be used to solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio State Test - Mathematics Grade 8: Practice & Study Guide course
- Understanding Proportional Relationships
- Slope of a Line
- Linear Relationships & Equations
- Bivariate Data & Frequency Tables
- Comparing & Composing Functions
- Properties of Two-Dimensional Shapes
- Angles & Triangles
- Understanding The Pythagorean Theorem
- Cylinders, Spheres & Cones
- Working with Integers & Exponents
- Rational & Irrational Numbers
- Scientific Notation Math
- Square & Cube Roots in Algebra
- Ohio State Test - Mathematics Grade 8 Flashcards