About This Chapter
External Factors in Childhood Development - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have developed a variety of engaging lessons you can access anytime to boost your knowledge of different external factors in childhood development. Review this chapter to ensure you understand concepts like child abuse, the role of culture in emotional development and the effects of environment on language development. When finished, you will be ready to:
- List and discuss factors that influence development and growth
- Identify and describe social issues that affect development in early childhood
- Explain the role media, school and culture play in emotional and social development
- Describe the effects of culture and environment on the development of language
- Discuss the impact socioeconomic status has on early childhood development
- Define and share facts about child abuse
- Detail how child growth and development are impacted by abuse and neglect
This chapter's flexibility enables you to choose any lessons to study, navigate in any order and visit as often as you'd like. If while reviewing the lessons you develop questions about specific topics, feel free to submit them to our experts. Before the day of your test, be sure to check your knowledge of external factors in childhood development by taking our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam. These resources are available 24/7 and can be accessed using any computer or mobile device.
1. Factors Influencing Growth & Development
There are numerous factors that play various roles in our growth and development. This lesson looks at the main categories of factors and specific examples of their impact on growth and development.
2. Social Issues that Impact Early Childhood Development
Young children are growing and changing every day as part of early childhood development. But what happens when issues get in the way of development? Watch this video for more information on how divorce and parental substance abuse can affect children.
3. The Role of Culture, School, and Media in Social and Emotional Development
Everyone changes and grows throughout his or her life, but that change is influenced by many factors. In this lesson, we'll look at socioemotional development and how culture, school, and media, like television, impact it.
4. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
5. How Socioeconomic Status Impacts Early Childhood Development
There are so many genetic and environmental factors that are key to early childhood development. In this lesson you will learn how a child's socioeconomic status impacts various areas of their early childhood development.
6. What is Child Abuse? - Definition & Facts
Did you know that more than five children die each day from child abuse? In this lesson, learn about the different types of child abuse, general statistics, and more.
7. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 (053): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Growth & Development
- Developmental Theories of Learning
- Federal & State Laws on Education
- Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations & Trends
- Planning & Facilitating Early Learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices & the Classroom
- Student Guidance & Behavioral Management
- Using Assessment & Evaluation in Teaching
- Utilizing Technology in the Classroom
- Family & Community Involvement in Early Education
- Subject-Specific Teaching Strategies
- Serving the Educational Needs of Diverse Populations
- Literacy Instruction in the Classroom
- Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy in Early Education
- Teaching Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Writing Processes & Development
- Early Childhood Mathematics Instruction
- Early Childhood Math Concepts
- Early Childhood Science Instruction
- Basics of Physical & Earth Sciences
- Basic Concepts in Life Science
- Social Studies in Early Education
- FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 Flashcards