About This Chapter
External Factors on Development & Learning for Students with Autism - Chapter Summary
Discover the external factors that impact development and learning for students with autism with help from this engaging chapter. These lessons cover topics such as multiple disabilities, medications used to treat autism spectrum disorders and the connection between education and socioeconomic status. You should be ready to do the following once you've completed this chapter:
- Discuss what disabilities are and the prevalence of multiple disabilities in the U.S. population
- Explore the impact of socioeconomic status on education
- Outline the effects of socialization, culture shock and culture on education
- Identify the differences between home and school and their impact on SPED students
- Detail some of the factors that affect learning for students on the autism spectrum
- Describe the cognitive and behavioral impact of seizures on children with autism
- Explain the side effects of some of the common medications used to treat autism spectrum disorder
These mobile-friendly and easy-to-use learning materials can be studied any time you'd like. We've provided a handy Dashboard that allows you to keep tabs on your progress and submit your questions to an instructor. If you're getting ready for a test, our lesson quizzes and chapter test can help you prepare.
1. Multiple Disabilities: Definition & Prevalence
Learn about what a disability is, what it means to have multiple disabilities, and the prevalence of multiple disabilities in the United States population.
2. Socioeconomic Status & Education: Statistics & Impact
We hear about socioeconomic status often, but what does it mean when we talk about its relationship with education? This lesson will bring you up to speed as well as introduce relevant statistics about socioeconomic status and education.
3. The Effect of Culture, Socialization & Culture Shock on Education
In this lesson we will explore the effect of culture on the socialization of children. We will also seek to understand the impact that culture has on their educational experiences.
4. Seizures & Autism: Cognitive, Social & Behavioral Impacts
Seizure disorders can have negative impacts on students' social, cognitive and behavioral performance. This lesson will show how to identify and address these issues.
5. Medications for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Types, Uses & Side Effects
This lesson briefly defines autism spectrum disorder. Then you'll learn about some of the general classes (and specific examples) of medications that might be used in this condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Autism Spectrum Disorder (064): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development Basics
- Overview of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Effects of Autism Spectrum Disorder on Development
- Forms of Assessment in Special Education
- Educational Assessment of Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Service Plans for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Transition Planning for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Behavior Intervention Plans for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Ongoing Assessment for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Creating Positive Learning Environments for Students with ASD
- Curriculum Planning & Adaptation for Special Education
- Teaching Strategies for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Individualized Instruction in the Classroom
- Utilizing Technology for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Communication Strategies for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Social Competencies for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Behavior Supports for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Teaching Life Skills to Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Communicating & Collaborating with Families of Students with Autism
- School & Community Partnerships in Special Education
- Historical & Legal Foundations of SPED for Students with ASD in Michigan
- Professional, Ethical & Legal Roles of Educators of Students with ASD
- MTTC Autism Spectrum Disorder Flashcards