About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering external health conditions material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about external health conditions. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing ways external health conditions such as bruises, eye twitching or big bites
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning health and wellness (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the External Health Conditions chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the External Health Conditions chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any health and wellness question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about external health conditions for a standard health and wellness course. Topics covered include:
- Causes of eye twitching and excessive sweating
- Why mosquito bites itch and some people bruise easily
- Treatment options for and causes of white tongue
- Symptoms and causes of cold hands and feet
- Reasons fingers prune
1. Causes of Eye Twitching
Is that eye twitch of yours harmless or something you should be concerned about? This lesson explains the two major forms of eye twitching and their causes.
2. Causes of Excessive Sweating
Do you sweat a lot even when you're not doing much and when it's a nice cool day? You might have a condition called hyperhidrosis. Find out what it is and some of its many causes!
3. Why Do Mosquito Bites Itch?
Mosquito bites are an annoying part of life because they itch and swell and bother us for days at a time. In this lesson you'll learn why mosquito bites itch, though the answer to this question might surprise you!
4. White Tongue: Causes & Treatment
If you woke up today and looked in the mirror only to find a white tongue, you might be alarmed. Should you be, though? It depends on the cause of that white tongue. This lesson describes many of the the alarming and less-alarming causes of a white tongue and potential treatment options.
5. Cold Hands & Feet: Causes & Symptoms
Do you ever get cold feet when you're supposed to do something really big? Actually cold feet can really occur when you're really nervous. Find out how as you learn about other causes of cold hands and feet.
6. Why Do Some People Bruise Easily?
Do you bruise really easily? Do your bruises look excessively large for their cause? There can be many reasons for why someone bruises really easily. This lesson goes over many of them.
7. Why Do Fingers Prune?
Have you ever wondered why your fingers prune after a long bath or swim in the ocean? It turns out the answer isn't what you might think it is. Find out why your fingers prune (or don't) in this lesson.
8. Pharmacology in Dentistry
In this lesson, you will learn about dental pharmacology and the different medications that are used in the dental field to treat conditions that occur in the mouth. You will also learn about the side effects of each of these medications and questions to ask your dentist when each of the medications is used or prescribed.
9. Caffeine: Pharmacokinetics & Pharmacodynamics
Humans consume caffeine daily, but do you know how it affects the body and why? This lesson will examine how caffeine moves in the body and how it has a stimulant effect on the body. Grab a cup of coffee and keep reading!
10. The Pharmacology of Nicotine
Nicotine has been a part of our society for thousands of years. In recent history, it has been used to help individuals stop smoking. This lesson is going to cover the pharmacology of nicotine by looking at how it works and its effects on the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health and Wellness course