About This Chapter
Factoring in Algebra - Chapter Summary
This chapter's video lessons will help you see how factoring is used in algebra. Concepts covered include working with prime factorizations and the steps used to factor expressions by grouping. You'll learn about fraction notation and how to use it in basic operations.
Other lessons offer examples of ways to factor out variables. Our instructors will also explain how to combine numbers when factoring. You should be able to do the following after reviewing these video lessons:
- Define factoring in algebra
- Find the prime factorization of a number and use it find least common multiples
- Use fraction notation for addition, subtraction, division and multiplication
- Combine numbers and variables when factoring
- Turn factoring into a division problem
- Factor by grouping
Our expert instructors make learning fun while teaching you what you need to know. You can assess your knowledge with the multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson. If you need to review a topic, the jump feature in the timeline makes it easy to return to the lesson and find that portion again. Each lesson also includes a written transcript with key terms and concepts highlighted.
1. What is Factoring in Algebra? - Definition & Example
Factoring with ordinary numbers involves knowing that 6 is the product of 2 and 3. But what about factoring in algebra? In this lesson, we'll learn the essential elements of algebra factoring.
2. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
3. Using Prime Factorizations to Find the Least Common Multiples
Finding the least common multiple can seem like a lot of work. But we can use prime factorization as a shortcut. Find out how and practice finding least common multiples in this lesson.
4. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
5. Using Fraction Notation: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
How do we add, subtract, multiply or divide with fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn how to use fraction notation correctly no matter what operation we're completing.
6. Factoring Out Variables: Instructions & Examples
Let's find the factors. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out numbers or variables from an expression. We'll even learn how to factor variables with exponents.
7. Combining Numbers and Variables When Factoring
With an expression, you know how to factor out a number, and you know how to factor out a variable. In this lesson, we'll learn how to factor out combined numbers and variables.
8. Transforming Factoring Into A Division Problem
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can factor a problem by turning it into a division problem. Learn how this actually helps you to factor and keep your numbers straight.
9. Factoring By Grouping: Steps, Verification & Examples
How do you factor an expression if all the terms don't share a common factor? Grouping! In this lesson, we'll learn how to use grouping to help factor expressions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer College Level Math Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Operations with Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Arithmetic with Rational Expressions
- Expanding Polynomials
- Manipulating Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Geometric Angles & Shapes
- Conics in Algebra
- Algebraic Concepts of Groups & Sets
- Graphs of Algebraic Functions
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Approaches to Math Word Problems
- Understanding Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Trigonometric Functions & Equations