About This Chapter
The Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics chapter of this College Algebra Help and Review course is the simplest way to master factoring with FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratics. This chapter uses simple and fun videos that are about five minutes long, plus lesson quizzes and a chapter exam to ensure students learn the essentials of factoring with FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratics.
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college algebra material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn college algebra. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding FOIL, parabolas and quadratic equations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about factoring with FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratics
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the factoring with FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratics chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the factoring with FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratics chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any questions about FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratic equations. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a factoring with FOIL, graphing parabolas and solving quadratics unit of a standard college algebra course. Topics covered include:
- Multiplying binomials using FOIL
- Factoring quadratic equations
- Solving quadratic equations
- Completing the square
1. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
2. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
3. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
4. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
5. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
6. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
7. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
8. Axis of Symmetry of a Parabola: Equation & Vertex
This lesson discusses how to locate the axis of symmetry of a parabola in the standard x-y coordinate plane. Learn how the vertex of the parabola relates to its axis of symmetry and how to determine the axis of symmetry from a quadratic equation.
9. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Working with Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations
- Overview of Roots & Radical Expressions
- Overview of Continuity in Mathematics
- Overview of Mathematical Limits