About This Chapter
Factorization of Binomials & Trinomials - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive math chapter shows you how to properly factor binomials and trinomials. As you progress through these simple and engaging lessons, you'll review the steps that are needed to solve cubic equations, factor trinomials, find the greatest common factor and much more. When you're finished, you'll be able to:
- Solve cubic equations using the greatest common factor
- Factor cubic equations by grouping
- Use the difference of two squares factoring formula
- Factor and solve trinomials
- Find the greatest common factors
The chapter comes with interactive quizzes to help you practice solving binomial and trinomial factorization problems on your own. You can work through the chapter at your own pace and submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help understanding the lesson topics. The chapter's online format allows you to study whenever you have free time in your schedule.
1. Using the Greatest Common Factor to Solve Cubic Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify the cubic equations for which you can factor out the greatest common factor to help you solve them. Learn the steps you need to take to solve them.
2. Grouping to Factor Cubic Equations
Factoring a quadratic equation may seem super easy to you now as you step into the world of cubic equations. Watch this video lesson to learn one easy method that you can use to factor some cubic equations.
3. Binomials: Difference of Two Squares
Sometimes a difficult calculation can be simplified and a complicated math expression can be made smaller with factoring formulas. In this lesson we explore one of the factoring formulas called the difference of squares.
4. Trinomials: Factoring, Solving & Examples
Trinomials can have different leading coefficients and therefore, have to be factored differently. Learn how to factor and solve any trinomial. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. Trinomials: Common Factors & Common Factor Sums
In this lesson, we'll explore common factors and trinomials. We'll also learn how to find a greatest common factor and how to factor trinomials using the greatest common factor.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Mathematics: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Mathematical Proofs & Reasoning
- Basic Arithmetic & Algebra
- Types of Equations & Inequalities
- Plane Geometry
- Circle Plane Geometry
- Probability & Randomization
- Arithmetic & Geometric Series
- Trigonometric Ratios
- Geometrical Representations of Functions
- Linear Functions & Lines
- Derivatives of Functions
- Quadratic Polynomials & Parabolas
- Geometrical Applications of Differentiation
- Logarithmic & Exponential Functions
- Calculating Trigonometric Functions
- Understanding Inverse Functions
- Factoring & Graphing Polynomials
- Roots & Coefficients of Polynomials
- Binomial Theorem & Probability
- Graphing & Solving Functions
- Solving & Graphing Complex Numbers
- Geometric Representations of Complex Numbers
- Square Roots, Powers & Roots of Complex Numbers
- Conic Sections Basics
- The Ellipse in Algebra
- The Hyperbola
- The Rectangular Hyperbola
- Calculus Applications: Rate of Change
- Calculus Applications: Velocity & Acceleration
- Calculus Applications: Projectile & Harmonic Motion
- Calculus Applications: Resisted Motion
- Calculus Applications: Circular Motion
- HSC Mathematics Flashcards