About This Chapter
Factors Affecting Childhood Development - Chapter Summary
Deepen your understanding of factors affecting childhood development in very little time. Some of the topics covered include the effects of physical disabilities on human development and how children are affected by parental substance abuse. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Explain how abuse impacts child development
- Provide examples of developmental milestones in children
- Outline how chronic illness affects human development
- Give examples of social norms in adults
- Discuss the impact of cultural identity on emotional development
- Link early childhood development with socioeconomic status
- Explain how environment affects language development in children
- Describe how divorce affects children
Our professional instructors deliver engaging lessons to help you improve your knowledge of factors affecting childhood development. You can even gauge your understanding of the topics covered by completing a short quiz that's available for each lesson. To stay organized as you work through the chapter, you can track the lessons you've completed and your quiz results using your personal Dashboard.
1. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
2. What Are Developmental Milestones in Children? - Table, Definition & Examples
Developmental milestones are an important way for anyone working with children to measure their developmental progress in several important areas. Learn four key areas to assess, the main milestones from three months of age to five years and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
3. Chronic Illness & Physical Disabilities: Effects on Human Development
What are chronic illnesses and physical disabilities? How do these conditions impact both the individual and society? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
4. What Are Social Norms? Definition & Examples in Infants, Children & Adults
In this lesson, you will gain an understanding of social norms and define related terms. You will also examine the effects of social norms in infants, children, adolescents, and adults.
5. How Culture Identity Impacts Early Childhood Development
In this lesson, we explain the ways in which cultural identity impacts cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages 2-5 and provide examples for each developmental domain.
6. How Socioeconomic Status Impacts Early Childhood Development
There are many genetic and environmental factors that are key to early childhood development. In this lesson, you'll learn how a child's socioeconomic status affects various areas of their early childhood development.
7. Social Issues that Impact Early Childhood Development
Young children are growing and changing every day as part of early childhood development. But what happens when issues get in the way of development? Watch this video for more information on how divorce and parental substance abuse can affect children.
8. How Environment Impacts Early Childhood Development
This lesson explores how environment impacts cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and language development in children ages two to five and provides examples of some of the possible environmental factors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge Elementary (051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Physical, Social & Mental Development
- Development of Sense & Perception
- Cognition & Cognitive Development
- Childhood Developmental Challenges
- Theories of Developmental Learning
- Student Learning & Performance
- Learning Assessments
- Constructing Student Assessments
- The Curriculum Planning Process
- Overview of Instructional Approaches
- Technology for Classroom Instruction
- Motivation in the Classroom
- Classroom Communication Strategies
- Learning Environments & Classroom Management Overview
- Communication & Collaboration as a Teacher
- Roles of Professional Educators
- Legal & Ethical Guidelines for Educators
- Professional Development for Teachers
- NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge (Elementary) Flashcards