About This Chapter
Factors Impacting Development & Learning - Chapter Summary
This chapter's overview of factors impacting development and learning can ensure you fully understand developmental abnormalities in children, emotional and behavioral disorders, ADHD, intellectual disabilities and more. Study entertaining lessons at any pace that works for you. When you're finished, you will be ready to:
- Define and list types of physical disabilities
- Discuss the causes, diagnosis and treatment of learning disorders and disabilities
- List issues faced by students with learning disabilities
- Describe personal factors that impact student learning and success
- Explain the effect socialization, culture and culture shock have on education
- Detail the impact disabilities can have on the self and others over a lifetime
- Share the meaning of psychopharmacology and discuss its impact on students
Feel free to customize your review of the lessons based on how well you understand or remember factors that impact development and learning. Visit the lessons as many times as you'd like, and check your knowledge of their contents by taking multiple-choice quizzes. Our subject-matter experts can answer any questions you have about topics covered in this chapter. If you'd like a comprehensive review of the lessons, be sure to take our practice exam.
1. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
2. What is a Physical Disability? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, you will learn to define the term physical disability. We will also look at different types of physical disabilities as well as further explore categories for daily living as they pertain to people with physical disabilities.
3. Behavioral Characteristics of Children with Asperger Syndrome
If you have never met a person with Asperger syndrome, you might wonder how they differ from you. In this lesson, we'll explore the behaviors common to people with Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders.
4. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
5. Intellectual Disabilities: Definition, Levels, Causes, Prevention & Treatment
People with intellectual disabilities have low IQs and problems with daily functioning. In this lesson, we'll examine the levels of intellectual disabilities as well as the causes and treatments of them.
6. Learning Disorders and Disabilities: Definition, Causes, Treatment and Diagnosis
Why do some students struggle to learn? What types of learning disabilities affect students? In this lesson, we'll look closely at three common learning disorders: dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalculia.
7. Students with Learning Disabilities
Working with students who have learning disabilities requires a unique awareness along with special accommodations. This lesson explores the issues faced by learning disabled students.
8. Personal Factors Affecting Student Learning & Success
Personal factors, like personality and social skills, impact a student's success and ability to learn. This lesson outlines factors that affect student learning and success and details how they impact learning.
9. The Effect of Culture, Socialization & Culture Shock on Education
In this lesson we will explore the effect of culture on the socialization of children. We will also seek to understand the impact that culture has on their educational experiences.
10. Impact of Disabilities on Self & Others Across the Life Span
Individuals with disabilities often have special needs and face unique challenges throughout life. This lesson will examine the impact of disabilities on individuals, families and society.
11. Psychopharmacology & Its Impact on Students
In this lesson, we will look at the more common issues students have that can benefit from medication treatments. We will also look at the impact this kind of medication treatment will have on those students in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Cognitive Impairment (056): Practice & Study Guide course
- Normal & Abnormal Human Growth & Development
- Characteristics of Cognitive Impairments
- Effects of Cognitive Impairments on Learning & Life
- Types of Assessment for Students with Cognitive Impairments
- Conducting Assessments for Students with Cognitive Impairments
- Interpreting & Communicating Educational Assessment Results
- Identifying & Planning for Students with Individualized Education Plans
- Instructional Planning in Special Education
- Strategies for Learning Environment Management in Special Education
- Individualizing Instruction for Students with Cognitive Impairments
- Teaching Communication Skills In Special Education
- Self-Advocacy for Students with Impairments
- Curriculum & Teaching Strategies for Students with Disabilities
- Teaching Life Skills to Students with Special Needs
- Behavioral Interventions for Students with Special Needs
- Supporting Life Transitions for SPED Students
- Developing Partnerships to Support Students as an Educator
- Communicating with Students & Families in SPED
- Educational & Legal Reform for Students with Special Needs
- Professional Issues for Teachers in Michigan
- MTTC Cognitive Impairment Flashcards