About This Chapter
Factors Influencing Consumer Behavior - Chapter Summary
This collection of engaging marketing lessons identifies the various factors that influence consumer behavior. Our expert instructors reveal the effects that advertising, atmospherics, culture and demographics can have on consumer decisions. Each lesson comes with a short quiz, and the chapter concludes with a comprehensive exam. You can revisit these resources as many times as needed, and they're available to study at any time that fits your schedule. When you're finished, you'll able to:
- Identify common influences on the buying decisions of consumers
- Discuss the relationship between consumer behavior, demographics and cross-cultural variations
- Compare situational and environmental factors affect consumer behavior
- Evaluate the influence of atmospherics on consumer behavior
- Explain how advertising affects consumer buying behavior
1. Influences on Consumer Buying Decisions: Cultures, Values & More
External influences are all around us and play a large role in our buying decisions. Watch this video to see how cultures, values and other influences shape our purchases.
2. Consumer Behavior Influences: Cross-Cultural Variations & Demographics
When you go from one country to another, tastes change. People from different ages, incomes, and lifestyles also have varying preferences for products and services. This lesson describes why consumers from different backgrounds buy different products and services.
3. Environmental & Situational Influences on Consumer Behavior
We are surrounded by factors in our environment that influence our purchasing decisions. Some are constants, while others are more situational in nature. In this lesson, we'll examine some of these influences on consumer behavior.
4. Atmospherics That Influence Consumer Behavior
Consumers are affected by many things as they shop, whether it is their environment, how much time they have, or what they are shopping for. In this lesson we will discuss how the environment can influence a buyer.
5. Effects of Advertising on Consumer Buying Behavior
How does advertising influence the process of consumer buying behavior? What impact does advertising have on a company's market share, and how does this shape the marketing budget? This lesson describes why advertising is so important - particularly for newer companies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior course
- Introduction to Consumer Behavior
- Consumers & the Decision Making Process
- Consumer Behavioral Heuristics
- Consumer Buying Behavior
- Microeconomics in Consumer Behavior
- Individual Financial Decision-Making
- Experiential Consumption
- Consumer Behavior Market Research
- Influencing Consumer Behavior
- Consumerism & Behavioral Appeals
- Psychology of Price
- Customer Satisfaction
- Required Assignments for Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior
- Studying for Marketing 302