About This Chapter
Factors That Impact Personality Development - Chapter Summary
Our instructors offer an in-depth analysis of factors that impact personality development. Get reacquainted with ways to improve self-esteem in adults, gender roles in society, types of studies in behavioral genetics and other related topics. In no time, you will be ready to:
- List and describe different personality types
- Define and discuss theories of personality psychology
- Explain how to improve self-esteem
- Differentiate between self-understanding and self-concept
- Compare and contrast sexuality and gender
- Describe differences between sex and gender
This chapter features a self-paced format that empowers you to take charge of your study process. Choose the lessons you want to study, review their contents anytime your schedule allows, and repeat the process as necessary. Before, during or after reviewing the lessons, take multiple-choice quizzes to quickly gauge your comprehension of the concepts they cover. The Dashboard traces your progress through this chapter and enables you to submit any questions you have about specific lesson topics to our experts.
1. Intro to Personality
You put two people in the same situation and, odds are, they'll react in a range of different ways. Some people might even react in a completely unexpected or extreme way. Why is this? Read this lesson for insight into personality types and what makes people tick the way they do.
2. Types of Studies in Behavioral Genetics: Twin, Family & Adoption
Are you destined to inherit your mother's penchant for collecting old postcards or your father's constant worry that something bad is about to happen? Find out with this lesson, which delves into the world of genetic and environmental behaviors and personality traits.
3. Personality Psychology: Definition & Theories
Many people are fascinated by the characteristics that make each of us unique. Read on to discover the different theories of how personality develops.
4. What Is Self-Esteem? - Definition & How to Improve It
Feeling confident about yourself is called self-esteem. During the end of the 20th century, a self-esteem movement was geared at making children feel good about themselves. But did it work? What really improves a person's self-esteem?
5. How to Improve Self-Esteem in Adults
It is not uncommon for adults to have self-esteem issues. This lesson will define self-esteem, identify possible causes of low self-esteem, and provide some suggestions on how to improve self-esteem in adults.
6. Self-Understanding & Self-Concept: How We Perceive Ourselves
Answering the question 'Who am I?' can lead to a solid self-concept and self-understanding. Watch this lesson to find out more about the difference in these two things, as well as the factors that go into each of them.
7. Sexuality & Gender: Difference & Definitions
This lesson defines many important concepts, including sexual identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity, gender preference, gender adoption, and gender identification. We also go over the three forms of sexual orientation.
8. Sex Vs. Gender: Overview
Sex refers to our biology. Gender refers to social norms, values, and beliefs that establish gender roles. In this lesson, we will explore the differences between sex and gender and examine the amazing variety of gender roles across cultures and the broad span of human history.
9. Gender Roles in Society: Definition & Overview
In this lesson, we will define gender roles and look into the traditional roles of men and women. We will also explore the shift in these roles and how they appear today.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards