About This Chapter
Families and Family Issues - Chapter Summary
This chapter begins with an introduction to the family life cycle and types of family systems. Also discussed are challenges faced by many families, like divorce, blended families, and family violence. By chapter's end, the instructors will also have taught you about:
- The consequences of conflict in the family
- Strategies for coping with unhealthy family behaviors
- Where to find help dealing with family problems
Our short video lessons, which are taught by experienced and knowledgeable instructors, are designed to expedite the learning process for busy students and teachers. Each lesson is also available in transcript form. Additional features include online self-assessment quizzes, as well as video tags that allow you to revisit major points of the lesson without having to re-watch the entire tutorial.
1. The Family Life Cycle: Definition, Stages & Theory
What kind of phases does a family typically go through? In this lesson, we will examine the family life cycle, as well as learn about two measurements for family health: cohesion and adaptability.
2. Family Systems: Definition and Types
Families come in all shapes and sizes. In this lesson, we'll examine what makes a family, as well as some common types of families, including nuclear, matrifocal, extended, and blended families.
3. Family Challenges: Divorce, Blended Families & Family Violence
The following lesson covers some of the more challenging issues a growing number of families are currently facing, including divorce, blending of families, and abuse. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
4. How Family Conflict Affects Health
In this lesson we'll be looking at how family conflict affects both physical and emotional health of individuals. We'll look at specific examples in families to elucidate the issues.
5. Strategies for Coping with Unhealthy Family Behavior
Within a family, it can be all too easy to slip into unhealthy behaviors. This lesson gives you a sense of what unhealthy family behaviors are and offers up some strategies for coping with them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Body Systems
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Prenatal and Human Development
- Nutritional Disorders
- Physical Fitness
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Safety, Accidents & Emergencies
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Substance Abuse & Addiction
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health-Related Products & Services
- Health Education
- TExES Health EC-12 Flashcards