About This Chapter
Family Changes & Transitions - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this engaging chapter to review family changes and transitions in a flexible, self-paced format. The lessons cover family life stages and traditions as well as relationships in late adulthood, among other concepts. After you complete this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Outline middle adulthood transitions, such as mid-life crisis and empty nest syndrome
- Explain gender roles changes in middle adulthood
- Discuss issues with changing family patterns
- Detail the effects of life events and family crisis
- Describe family communication patterns
- Point out the benefits of individual counseling and family counseling
You can refresh your knowledge of these family transition concepts using your smartphone, tablet or computer. We've included a short quiz with each lesson so you can check your comprehension before moving on. Our printable lesson transcripts provide an easy to way make offline study guides.
1. Family Life Stages and Traditions: Courtship, Marriage, Child Rearing & Aging
In this lesson, we discuss the four stages of traditional family life that sociologists study. Although the concept of family has changed with time, these four stages remain prominent in our culture.
2. Middle Adulthood Transitions: Mid-Life Crisis & Empty Nest Syndrome
Middle age is a time of transitions, when people's lives are changing rapidly. In this lesson, we'll look at two ways that people often react to those changes: mid-life crises and empty nest syndrome.
3. Gender Role Changes in Middle Adulthood
Middle adulthood is a time of great change for most people. But men and women experience those changes differently. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the way gender impacts middle age, including the famed mid-life crisis and gender crossover.
4. Relationships in Late Adulthood
As people age, many of their relationships change and develop. In this lesson, we'll examine relationships in late life, including those with adult children, siblings, and spouses, as well as the types of single older adults.
5. Issues with Changing Family Patterns
Families have changed a great deal over time. In this lesson, we'll look at dual career, single parent, and blended families. We'll consider the unique issues each can present.
6. Effects of Life Events & Family Crisis
This lesson looks at how life events and stressors can cause a family crisis. The lesson identifies different types of stress, explores the differences between families who go into crisis and those who don't, and discusses means of overcoming family stress.
7. Family Communication Patterns
In this lesson, you will explore ways in which families interact and discover the relationship between power and communication. Then you'll be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. What is Individual Counseling? - Definition & Purpose
This lesson explores the basics of what individual counseling is from the counselor's perspective. Included is how individual counseling differs from group and family counseling as well as an explanation of the basic counseling process.
9. The Process of Family Counseling
Counseling a family requires understanding of both individual and family patterns. This lesson explains several theoretical approaches that guide counselors in assessing family problems and treating them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards