About This Chapter
Family & Community Involvement in Early Education - Chapter Summary
This self-paced chapter is designed to help you get reacquainted with the basics of family and community involvement in early education. Our engaging lessons examine ways educators can successfully include students' families and the larger community in their teaching practices. Use this chapter to improve your comprehension and ensure you're able to:
- Define and list types of family systems
- Identify and describe strategies for working with families of students
- Discuss the challenges and rewards of communicating with families of diverse backgrounds
- Explain the importance of promoting community involvement in schools
- Detail steps a school can take to create partnerships with the local community
If you are concerned that a busy schedule could impact your ability to study the lessons in this chapter, don't worry! All the lessons are available around-the-clock using any smartphone, tablet or computer with Internet access. Feel free to review the lessons in any order and as often as you'd like, and take the accompanying quizzes to check your knowledge of their contents. When you're ready, gauge your overall understanding of family and community involvement in early education by taking our practice chapter exam.
1. Family Systems: Definition and Types
Families come in all shapes and sizes. In this lesson, we'll examine what makes a family, as well as some common types of families, including nuclear, matrifocal, extended, and blended families.
2. Strategies for Working with Families of Students
From the first day of school, it becomes clear that each student enters the classroom with a unique worldview, generally instilled in them by their family. In this lesson, we'll discuss some general strategies for bringing students' families into the educational conversation.
3. Communicating with Families of Diverse Backgrounds
In this lesson, we'll learn about interacting with families of diverse backgrounds. We'll explore the challenges and rewards involved in this process, and we'll highlight tips that aid in the communication process.
4. Promoting Community Involvement in Schools
School districts are often at the physical center of their neighborhoods. Parents expect their schools to educate and care for their children, while offering the best of where they live, so it's a perfect marriage when the extended community is involved in the life and needs of the school.
5. How to Create Partnerships with the Local Community
One of the most useful things that a school can do is build partnerships within the community. In this lesson, we look at how to build those partnerships with businesses and nonprofits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 (053): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Growth & Development
- External Factors in Childhood Development
- Developmental Theories of Learning
- Early Childhood Education Models
- Federal & State Laws on Education
- Early Childhood Education Professional Organizations & Trends
- Planning & Facilitating Early Learning
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices & the Classroom
- Student Guidance & Behavioral Management
- Using Assessment & Evaluation in Teaching
- Utilizing Technology in the Classroom
- Subject-Specific Teaching Strategies
- Serving the Educational Needs of Diverse Populations
- Literacy Instruction in the Classroom
- Emergent Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy in Early Education
- Teaching Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Writing Processes & Development
- Early Childhood Mathematics Instruction
- Early Childhood Math Concepts
- Early Childhood Science Instruction
- Basics of Physical & Earth Sciences
- Basic Concepts in Life Science
- FTCE Prekindergarten/Primary PK-3 Flashcards