About This Chapter
Family Structures & Issues - Chapter Summary
In this chapter of our study guide, our knowledgeable instructors will help you review different types of family structures and the shared and unique experiences they face. You'll look at common traditions, such as marriage and aging, and challenges, including divorce and blended families. Other lessons offer the chance to examine theories of familial behaviors. After completing these lessons, you should know more about:
- Nuclear and extended families
- Patrilocality, matrilocality and neolocality
- Stages and traditions of family life
- Common challenges in family structures
- Theoretical analyses of families
Our instructors use humor, animations and expertise to make these lessons informative and fun. The videos average about five minutes in length and can be accessed on your computer or mobile device. After each lesson is a short quiz that lets you evaluate your knowledge. We provide a Timeline with clickable links that you can use to locate specific parts of the lesson you wish to focus on.
1. Nuclear vs. Extended Family: Definitions & Structures
This lesson will seek to explain the variations in family residence that exist around the globe. In doing so, it will specifically highlight the patterns of nuclear and extended residence, while citing some reasons for both.
2. Family and Kinship: Patrilocality, Matrilocality & Neolocality
The family, as a social institution, is an extremely important subject of study for sociologists. In this lesson, we define family and kinship, and we discuss three different patterns of residency and systems of family lineage.
3. Family Life Stages and Traditions: Courtship, Marriage, Child Rearing & Aging
In this lesson, we discuss the four stages of traditional family life that sociologists study. Although the concept of family has changed with time, these four stages remain prominent in our culture.
4. What Is a Non-Traditional Family? - Definition of Options
Although traditional families once dominated many neighborhoods, today, there are lots of ways to form a family beyond the traditional idea of a married mother and father raising children.
5. Family Structure Variations in the United States
The following lesson will cover the different types of family structures that occur in the United States in addition to the traditional nuclear family structure. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
6. Family Challenges: Divorce, Blended Families & Family Violence
The following lesson covers some of the more challenging issues a growing number of families are currently facing, including divorce, blending of families, and abuse. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
7. Different Theoretical Analyses of Families
The following lesson will cover how sociologists approach the concept of family using different sociological theories. A short quiz will follow to check your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Overview of the Human Body
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrients and the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Enhancing Social Health
- Social Systems & Communication
- Prejudice, Aggression & Conflict
- Factors Influencing Health
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Screening
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Influences in Sexual Relationships
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Making Decisions in Health Care
- Health Protection Laws and Programs
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Injury Prevention and Safety Strategies
- Emergency Care
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Gross Anatomy & Functions of the Muscular System
- Elements of Human Growth & Energy
- Principles of Rhythmic Activities
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- Principles of Individual & Outdoor Activities
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Approaches to Instruction
- Principles of Dual & Team Sports
- Principles of Cooperative & Group Games
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Understanding & Assessing Fitness
- Principles & Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Promoting Health & Fitness Components
- Developing Physical Fitness Plans
- Impact of Physical Activity on Personal & Social Behaviors
- Teaching Techniques for Health Educators
- Managing & Coping with Stress
- Careers in Health & Fitness
- WEST Health/Fitness Flashcards