About This Chapter
Family Systems & Healthy Behavior - Chapter Summary
Instructors will discuss what you need to know about family systems and how families impact health. You will also take a look at the different types of parenting styles and learn to distinguish the healthiest patterns. By the time you finish the chapter, you should know about:
- Family life cycle
- Types of family systems
- Non-traditional families
- Differences between nuclear and extended families
- Parenting styles
- Negative health impacts of families
- Coping with unhealthy family behavior
To make studying families and parenting an engaging process, we offer you short video lessons that detail each topic listed above. These lessons are accompanied by self-assessment quizzes so you can assess your knowledge as you work your way through the chapter. When you complete the chapter, you can take the chapter test. This allow you to self-evaluate your retention of everything you've studied. You will receive immediate feedback allowing you to go back into the lesson and further review the material until you are comfortable that you know it well.
1. The Family Life Cycle: Definition, Stages & Theory
What kind of phases does a family typically go through? In this lesson, we will examine the family life cycle, as well as learn about two measurements for family health: cohesion and adaptability.
2. Family Systems: Definition and Types
Families come in all shapes and sizes. In this lesson, we'll examine what makes a family, as well as some common types of families, including nuclear, matrifocal, extended, and blended families.
3. What Is a Non-Traditional Family? - Definition of Options
Although traditional families once dominated many neighborhoods, today, there are lots of ways to form a family beyond the traditional idea of a married mother and father raising children.
4. Nuclear vs. Extended Family: Definitions & Structures
This lesson will seek to explain the variations in family residence that exist around the globe. In doing so, it will specifically highlight the patterns of nuclear and extended residence, while citing some reasons for both.
5. Parenting Styles: Authoritarian, Permissive & Neglectful
How do parenting styles differ from one another, and which are most effective? You'll follow expectant parents, Mary and Larry, as they walk their neighborhood and try to learn from other parents.
6. How Family Conflict Affects Health
In this lesson we'll be looking at how family conflict affects both physical and emotional health of individuals. We'll look at specific examples in families to elucidate the issues.
7. Strategies for Coping with Unhealthy Family Behavior
Within a family, it can be all too easy to slip into unhealthy behaviors. This lesson gives you a sense of what unhealthy family behaviors are and offers up some strategies for coping with them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Health (NT505): Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Health & Wellness
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Impacts of Dietary Choices on Health in the U.S.
- Carbohydrates in Health & Nutrition
- Lipids in Health & Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Introduction to Disease
- Immunity & Disease
- Drug Use & Abuse
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Emotional & Mental Health Management
- Elements of Interpersonal Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Conflict & Resolution
- Social Health & Diversity
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Community & Public Health
- Understanding Health Information
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Weight Management & Nutrition
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- AEPA Health Flashcards