About This Chapter
Farm Animals Lesson Plans & Activities - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains lesson plans and activities about farm animals. Teachers who need to teach young students about farm animals can use the lesson plan outlines to design a curriculum about a variety of farm animals, such as horses and cows.
You'll also find supplemental lessons about milk and dairy production, cattle feeding, the life cycle of cats and more. To engage your students, we've included a variety of classroom activities and games about topics like the cattle industry, dogs, sheep, goats and donkeys. Finally, you'll be able to assign your students quizzes to make sure they understand basic information about farm animals.
How It Helps
- Additional resources: Includes teaching tools that can be integrated into your farm animal lessons and assignments
- Curriculum standards: Covers important information about farm animals that meets academic standards
- Engages students: Provides plenty of classroom and activities to help young students have fun while learning about farm animals
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning farm animal lessons easy.
- Use lesson plans outlines for specific farm animal topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your farm animal class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related farm animal lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important farm animal concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant farm animal-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Cow Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to help you teach your students about cows. Students will participate in a guided reading of an informational text lesson all about the different types of cows and fun facts then before applying learning to an engaging activity.
2. Cow Facts: Lesson for Kids
Do you think you can you outrun or out-sniff a cow? Find out in this lesson about the different types of cows, what cows eat and other fascinating cow facts.
3. Dairy Farms Lesson Plan
This lesson plan explores the process of milk production and the necessary steps needed to maintain dairy cattle. Students will read two lessons, participate in discussion questions, complete an activity and take two quizzes.
4. How to Feed & Manage Dairy Cattle
This lesson will provide a brief overview and introduction to the business of feeding and managing dairy cattle. We'll explore what facilities and equipment should be considered and what to feed dairy cows. We'll also look at basic cow biology.
5. Milk & Dairy Production Process
We all know that grocery stores carry milk, but how does the milk get there? What does the milk go through to be ready for us to drink? In this lesson we will learn all about the milking process.
6. Cattle Industry Classroom Activities
Teaching students about the cattle industry can be a great interdisciplinary experience. The activities in this lesson will help students get excited about the industry and the major concepts behind it.
7. Farm Animal Activities
Giving children the chance to learn about farm animals can foster an appreciation for animals and fond memories. Use these tips to create fun activities for your school kids.
8. Horses Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students all about horses. Students will read about different types of horses and their characteristics, then demonstrate comprehension by identifying a main idea and supporting details.
9. Facts About Horses: Lesson for Kids
We usually think about horses as pets, but they have been working with humans to do important jobs for thousands of years. Learn about the jobs horses do, different types of horses and more fascinating facts about horses in this lesson.
10. Horse Activities for Kids
Horses are beautiful, graceful animals that can be an interesting topic to cover in your classroom. The activities included are fun and interesting ways to give your students exposure to horses and learn more about what horses are like.
11. Cat Lesson Plan
Many of your students probably have cats, but how much do they understand about their pet's growth and care? In this lesson plan, find a a video lesson to guide your instruction on the life cycle of a cat. Students will then complete a hands-on activity to learn about a house cat's development and needs.
12. Life Cycle of a Cat Lesson for Kids
Cats and kittens are cute and playful. Do you know how a cat grows as it gets older? This lesson talks about the life cycle of a cat. Get ready for a whole bunch of cute!
13. Dog Activities for Kids
As a teacher, you can have a powerful positive impact on your students and how they interact with dogs. This lesson provides several ideas for discussions and activities with kids to understand how to have a positive relationship with dogs.
14. Sheep Activities & Games
This set of fun, engaging activities allows students to explore sheep while building on other academic skills, such as science, art, and reading. Topics include sheep vocabulary, ruminant digestion, Bovidae family characteristics, and famous sheep.
15. Goat Activities & Games
Teaching students about animals can be a fun and exciting way to get them interested in nature and ecology. This lesson offers activities and games for helping your students learn about goats.
16. Donkey Activities & Games
Donkeys may be members of the horse family, but they possess very unique characteristics that set them apart. From their tell-tale ears to their life span of up to fifty years, there is a lot to learn about donkeys. These activities help make learning about donkeys fun!
17. Farm Animals Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students will learn about farm animals. Students will learn why animals are important to a farm and why each animal is very important to the farm and the farmer.
18. Working Animals Lesson Plan
In this lesson, the students will learn about the many ways in which animals work to help people. The students will practice matching jobs to animals, and then they will use their new knowledge to write a realistic fiction story.
19. Working Animals in Human Society
This lesson goes over the many different types and roles of working animals. You'll be familiar with some of these, but others might surprise you in terms of which animals have been trained to do what.
20. Farm Animal Nutrition Lesson Plan
This lesson introduces high school students to nutrition in animal husbandry. Students practice active reading skills with a short text lesson, engage in partner and whole-class discussions, and apply their learning in a research-based activity.
21. Poultry Lesson Plan
Educate your students about poultry with this helpful lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson, take a related quiz about poultry, and take part in a hands-on activity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Animals & Habitats Lesson Plans course
- Whales & Dolphins Lesson Plans
- Ocean Animals Lesson Plans
- Animals & Life Cycles Lesson Plans
- Arctic & Antarctic Animals Lesson Plans
- Forest Animals Lesson Plans
- Grasslands Animal Facts Lesson Plans
- Rainforest Animal Facts Lesson Plans
- Animal Movement Lesson Plans & Resources
- Zoos & Animal Care Lesson Plans
- Plant & Animal Dissection Lesson Plans