About This Chapter
Fashion Design Lesson Plans & Resources - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've put together lesson plans about fashion design that allow you to use your teacher planning time to the fullest while giving you ideas you can use in the classroom. These plans cover subjects including the history of fashion, costume design, fashion illustration and winter clothing. Designed for a variety of ages, these resources help take the stress out of planning. All of our lesson plans meet Common Core requirements and are written by professional instructors.
How It Helps
- Vocabulary words: Helps you reinforce key vocabulary and the important terms, dates and individuals your students need to know in order to fully understand fashion design
- Individual and group projects: Assists you in bringing these ideas to your students on a more personal level by prompting them with group assignments
- Class discussion questions: Improves understanding by ensuring the questions and prompts you give your students really get to the heart of these topics
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning fashion design lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific fashion design topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your fashion design class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related fashion design lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important fashion design concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant fashion design-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Fashion Design Lesson Plan
Even if your students are fashionistas, this lesson plan will give a deeper understanding of the craft. Students will read a text lesson, learn new vocabulary and categories of fashion design, and create an original design.
2. History of Fashion Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn about the history of fashion by reading an informational text, collaborating to build a fashion timeline, and designing an outfit inspired by history.
3. Fashion Design Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Using Coco Chanel as inspiration, this lesson plan guides elementary students in the exploration of fashion design, considerations for design, and the importance of being an individual. Activities include designing sneakers, a backpack or a hat, and designing and making a t-shirt.
4. Costume Design Lesson Plan
Teach students about the world of costume design with this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson on costume design history and techniques, observe and analyze costumes, then create their own.
5. Textile Design Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students will learn about the methods and processes of textile design. They will then have the opportunity to discuss these ideas as small groups and with partners.
6. Summer Clothing Lesson Plan
Clothing choices change as temperatures soar in the summer. This lesson plan is designed to guide your instruction on summer clothing. A dress-the-paper-mannequin activity gives students practice with summer clothing.
7. Design a Sneaker Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students will have the chance to consider how art and function interact as they create a two-dimensional sneaker design, and translate that onto a 3-dimensional object.
8. Winter Clothing Lesson Plan for Elementary School
How does chilly weather change our wardrobes? This lesson plan is designed to support instruction for elementary students on winter clothing and includes a fun activity that gives students practice gearing up for winter weather.
9. Clothing Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Do your students know how to choose clothing that is appropriate for the day and occasion? This lesson plan is designed to help you explain these concepts to students. A hands-on activity reinforces learning.
10. Work Clothes Lesson Plan
Do your students know what types of clothing are appropriate for work environments? This lesson plan is designed to help you explain just that to students and includes an activity to challenges them to design wardrobes for assorted professions.
11. Clothing Construction Lesson Plans
With this lesson plan, your students are going to examine the process of clothing construction. They will apply what they learn by designing and creating clothes for doll-sized figures.
12. Fashion Illustration Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to practice creating quick fashion sketches. They will learn how to proportion the human body and will drawing garments in realistic ways.
13. Recycled Fashion Lesson Plan
What is recycled fashion? This lesson plan will help you explain this concept to students in an informative and engaging manner, helped by an activity that leaves students with their own article of recycled fashion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art Lesson Plans & Projects course
- Photography Lesson Plans & Resources
- Design Lesson Plans & Projects
- Classroom Art Projects
- Drawing Lesson Plans
- Art Lesson Plans
- Museum Lesson Plans & Resources
- Elements of Art Lesson Plans
- Painting Lesson Plans
- Collage & Mosaic Lesson Plans
- Outdoor Art Lesson Plans & Activities
- Fiber Art & Sewing Lesson Plans