About This Chapter
Fiber Art & Sewing Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
Get your students excited about fiber art and sewing by creating fun lessons using the teacher resources in this chapter. Informative lesson plans offer instructional guidance, suggested lesson materials, project and activity ideas. and more to aid in the process of curriculum and lesson development. Taking advantage of these resources can help you educate students on topics that include:
- Beginning sewing and the sewing machine
- Sewing safety
- How to thread a sewing machine and sew on a button
- Parts of a sewing machine
- Sewing pattern symbols and layout
- Basics of quilting, knitting and needlepoint
- Circle and paper weaving
- Fabrics and fibers
Utilize any resources in this chapter that can improve your curriculum, lessons and classroom instruction. In addition to lesson plans, take advantage of companion lessons and short quizzes that can serve as supplemental classroom learning materials.
How It Helps
- Discussion topics or questions: Offers engaging questions or topics you can present to your students to prompt discussions about fiber art and sewing.
- Curriculum standards: Ensures the lessons you create align with educational standards for fiber art and sewing.
- Class or homework assignments: Provides you with ideas for assignments you can give your students in class or for homework.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning fiber art and sewing lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific fiber art and sewing topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your art class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related fiber art and sewing lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important fiber art and sewing concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant fiber art and sewing-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Fibers & Fabrics Lesson Plan
Students will have fun with this lesson plan learning about the different types of fiber fabrics. They will read a lesson, participate in discussion questions, complete an activity and take a quiz.
2. Beginning Sewing Lesson Plan
Basic sewing is a useful skill to have. This lesson plan teaches students the simple steps needed for beginning sewing. An activity gives them a chance to demonstrate what they've learned.
3. Sewing Lesson Plan for Kids
Sewing is an essential skill and may help kids develop fine motor control. This lesson plan explains the value and technique of sewing. An activity gives kids practice along with a meaningful takeaway.
4. Sewing Machine Lesson Plan
The sewing machine is one of the most important inventions in modern history. This lesson plan uses a text lesson to present the history of the sewing machine. An activity familiarizes students with the early appeal of the sewing machine.
5. History of the Sewing Machine
The sewing machine is so commonplace that we take it for granted, but can you imagine life before this machine? In this lesson, we'll explore the development of this important machine and see how it changed the world.
6. Sewing a Button Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students follow an in-class demo on how to sew a button. They will then attempt to complete the process on their own while the teacher offers helpful tips and guidance.
7. Sewing Machine Parts Lesson Plan
Can your students name the parts of a sewing machine? This lesson plan includes a text lesson that outlines key information for students and an activity to provide them with practice in identifying the parts of a sewing machine.
8. Parts of a Sewing Machine
This lesson introduces the basic parts of a sewing machine. The parts selected include the most common elements across machine models and parts people must know to effectively operate a sewing machine.
9. Threading a Sewing Machine Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will teach your students how to properly thread a sewing machine. They will also participate in a hands-on activity about sewing machines that will reinforce concepts.
10. Sewing Safety Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn more about sewing safety. They will read an explanatory text and engage in collaborative discussion. Students will also create an ABC book about sewing safety.
11. Sewing Machine Safety: Rules & Tips
This lesson provides comprehensive guidelines for sewing machine safety. Topics discussed include sharp objects, electrical dangers, distractions, and hazards while each section includes helpful tips to avoid injury.
12. Sewing Pattern Symbols & Their Definition
This lessons helps unlock the code of symbols found on sewing patterns. With the most common symbols explained, and some instructions that combine symbols, students will be ready to tackle sewing projects in no time.
13. Sewing Pattern Layout Lesson Plan
What is the most effective way to lay out a sewing pattern? This lesson plan will help you explain how to do so for students. It includes an activity to provide an opportunity for practice laying out sewing patterns.
14. Circle Weaving Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students are going to to explore the concept of circle weaving. They will practice planning and executing their own designs, and will discuss the relationships between these processes.
15. Needlepoint Lesson Plan
Needlepoint is a fun technique that produces unique designs using a needle and thread. This lesson plan teaches the basics of needlepoint to students before an activity gives students the chance to try needlepoint for themselves.
16. Quilting Lesson Plan
Quilting is an age-old sewing technique that results in attractive fabric combinations. This lesson plan will help you teach students about quilting basics. A hands-on activity gives students the chance to try quilting for themselves.
17. Quilt Lesson Plan for Elementary School
What are quilts and how are they made? This lesson plan outlines interesting facts about quilts for students. A quilting activity solidifies understanding.
18. Knitting Lesson Plan
Knitting is a popular hobby that can produce many different items. This lesson plan explains the basic steps of knitting and an activity leaves students with a hand-knitted bookmark.
19. Paper Weaving Lesson Plan
With this lesson plan, your students will become familiar with the basic principles of weaving and artistic design. They will then create several paper weaving compositions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art Lesson Plans & Projects course