About This Chapter
Financial Management for Business - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to increase your understanding of financial management for business. Get familiar with examples of accrued expenses and revenues, measuring the supply of money, and making business decisions by using accounting concepts. Other information in this chapter includes:
- The process of financial planning
- Equity capital versus debt capital
- Short-term financing sources
- Long-term financing sources
- Money, stocks and bonds assets
- Definition of accrued expenses and revenues
- Present and future value of money
These lessons are short text and videos, and each comes with a self-assessment quiz. Videos average 5-10 minutes in length, and you get the transcript as well as a timeline tool so you can quickly find any specific location on the video that you want to replay. We also provide a feature that allows you to submit a question directly to the instructor.
1. The Role and Responsibilities of Financial Managers
Financial managers play a pivotal role in the success of companies. In this lesson, you'll learn about the duties and responsibilities of financial managers. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
2. The Financial Planning Process
Financial planning is essential for the success of any business. In this lesson, you'll learn about the financial planning process that businesses perform, including preparation of a master budget, capital budget and cash budget.
3. Debt Capital Vs Equity Capital
Sufficient capital is essential for starting, maintaining and growing a business. In this lesson, you'll learn how a corporation can raise capital through equity and debt. You'll also learn about the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
4. Sources of Short-Term Financing
Companies often need to utilize financing to cover shortfalls in cash flow. In this lesson, you'll learn about sources of short-term financing available to companies including trade credit, lines of credit, bank loans and credit cards.
5. Sources of Long-Term Financing
Some businesses require a large amount of capital to get off the ground or expand. In this lesson, you'll learn about sources of long-term financing, including commercial loans, selling equity and issuing debt.
6. Types of Financial Assets: Money, Stocks & Bonds
For an economy to operate effectively, consumers and businesses need a common medium of exchange and mechanisms to encourage some people to save, others to borrow and others to invest. In any modern economy, these needs are met with money, stocks and bonds.
7. Accrued Expenses & Revenues: Definition & Examples
Accruals are a part of the accounting world for most businesses. In this lesson, you will learn about two important parts of the concept of accruals: accrued revenue and accrued expenses.
8. Present and Future Value: Calculating the Time Value of Money
A central concept in business and finance is the time value of money. We will use easy to follow examples and calculate the present and future value of both sums of money and annuities.
9. Measuring the Money Supply: Explanation and Examples
Discover how the Federal Reserve defines the money supply by exploring the components of the money stock. In this lesson, we also look at the money supply in terms of function and liquidity.
10. Using Accounting Concepts to Make Business Decisions
There are several accounting concepts that make up the generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Using these principles, managers are better able to read and understand financial statements needed to make business decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CM Leading & Controlling Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager course
- Workplace Leadership
- Employee Motivation in the Workplace
- Managing Change in the Workplace
- Workplace Conflict
- Organizational Politics at Work
- Managing Workplace Misbehavior
- Types of Workplace Misbehavior
- Privacy in the Workplace
- Time & Stress Management at Work
- Organizational Control in Business
- Controlling Operations Costs in Business
- Quality Management in Business
- Inventory Control in Business
- Business Accounting Fundamentals
- Financial Statements for Business
- Financial Analysis for Business
- CM Leading & Controlling Exam Study Guide - Certified Manager Flashcards