About This Chapter
Financial Regulation & Ethics - Chapter Summary
Studying financial regulation and ethics is fun and simple using this chapter's entertaining lessons. Our instructors provide in-depth analyses of the financial planning process, banking system, ethics in accounting and more. Paired with each lesson is a multiple-choice quiz designed to gauge your understanding of key concepts. Our broader exam ensures you have a quality grasp of the entire chapter. All of our study tools are available 24/7 via your computer or mobile device of choice. After finishing this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and describe ethics in managerial accounting
- Explain trust busting and government regulations imposed on the Progressive Era's economy and industry
- Detail how ethics play a role in financial regulations
- Provide descriptions of controls and safeguards of banking activities
- Exhibit knowledge of U.S. Treasury regulatory measures on financial institutions
1. The Importance of Ethics in Accounting
Ethics - are they really important in accounting? In this lesson, we will discuss what ethics are and what role they play in accounting; we'll also review a case that is deeply rooted in ethics. In the end, we will decide whether or not ethics are important in accounting.
2. Ethics in Managerial Accounting
The function of managerial accounting is to provide information to key decision-makers within the organization. A high standard of ethical behavior is expected from those who develop this information.
3. Trust Busting and Government Regulations on Economy & Industry in the Progressive Era
During the Progressive Era, from around 1900-1917, government intervened in the economy, breaking up trusts, and regulating railroads and other industries. Learn how government worked to curb the power of unregulated big business and provide tariff and banking reforms.
4. Banking System: Definition & Types
Banks are a huge part of our lives. In this lesson, we will explore the banking system. We will learn about different types of banks as well as how they each function.
5. The Financial Planning Process
Financial planning is essential for the success of any business. In this lesson, you'll learn about the financial planning process that businesses perform, including preparation of a master budget, capital budget and cash budget.
6. How Ethics Play a Role in Financial Regulations
In this lesson, we'll define code of ethics and explain how ethics play a role in the financial industry. We'll also explore topics to include in ethics training for financial services employees.
7. Safeguards & Controls of Banking Activities
Money is one of the most highly valued items a person has. Is that money safe when it is deposited in a bank? In this lesson, you'll learn how banks safeguard your money so that you can be confident with every deposit you make.
8. U.S. Treasury Regulatory Measures on Financial Institutions
This lesson explains why the U.S. Treasury regulates financial institutions. It will then list, define, and explain the major regulations that it enforces to protect a consumer's money.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Finance 303: Financial Institutions & Markets course
- Foundations of Finance & Investment
- The Federal Reserve System & Financial Institutions
- Interest Rates, Rate Changes, & Risk Structure
- Understanding Financial Markets
- Basics of Financial Investments
- Equity Ownership & Risk Exposure
- Calculating Prices & Yields
- Principles of Financial Statement Analysis
- Financial Risk Management & Mitigation