About This Chapter
Financial Reporting - Chapter Summary
This chapter's informative lessons take an in-depth look at income statements, balance sheets and other aspects of financial reporting. Our expert instructors explain why financial reporting is important in business and accounting. Access the lessons as entertaining videos or written transcripts on any computer, smartphone or tablet. With each lesson is a short quiz designed to assess your comprehension of financial reporting. Take advantage of these and other chapter resources to enhance your ability to:
- Identify the primary components and purpose of financial reporting
- Discuss the importance of financial statements
- Explain how financial statement ratios help companies gauge their performance
- Discuss the purpose and components of the income statement
- Share the definition and purpose of the balance sheet
- Calculate cash flow
- Describe the format and purpose of the statement of cash flows
1. What Is Financial Reporting? - Purpose, Statement Examples & Analysis
Financial reporting is a vital part of corporate governance. In this lesson, you'll learn what financial reporting is, its primary components, its purpose, and be provided with some examples. A short quiz follows the lesson.
2. Financial Statement Ratios: Determining Company Performance
Have you ever wondered why the financial statements are so important to a company? In this lesson, you will learn about several financial statement ratios and how they help determine company performance.
3. What Is Cash Flow? - Definition, Calculation & Example
Companies can't function without sufficient cash flow. In this lesson, you'll learn what cash flow is and how to calculate it, and you'll be provided some examples. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Financial Accounting: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Accounting: Help and Review
- Financial Statements in Accounting: Help and Review
- Mechanics of the Accounting Cycle: Help and Review
- Project Evaluation & Analysis
- Preparing Financial Statements: Help and Review
- Internal Controls in Accounting: Help and Review
- Merchandising Operations and Inventory in Accounting: Help and Review
- Current and Long-Term Liabilities in Accounting: Help and Review
- Adjusting Accounts & Preparing Financial Statements: Help and Review
- Taxation of Business Entities
- Accounting Changes & Errors
- Classifying Costs in Accounting
- Cost Accounting Methods
- Cash Flow Statements & Disclosures
- Asset & Inventory Management
- Small Business Financing
- Small Business Accounting